In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith & Wesson Top-Break Double Action .44-40 "Frontier" Trigger Spring

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,022 ******

I have this S&W DA top-break .44-40 in hand, and it cycles OK but the trigger does not spring back forward when released.

I got the trigger guard and trigger out, and there is a recess ahead of the trigger with nothing in it. Maybe that's where the trigger spring goes?

GunParts is no help. Someone on a forum stated that parts for these old guns are not available anywhere.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭

I found this schematics of Smith&Wesson 44-40 top break. It looks to be a flat spring. If you can’t locate a spring it’s possible to make one for it. I have a formula from an old gun smithing book on how to make and temper a spring.

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭

That little V shaped flat spring might be fabricated out of a flintlock frizzen return spring. Those are pretty common.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭

Many years ago I sent off for some material with which you could made your own springs.

From Brownells?? All I remember was I made a spring that worked but it took multiple tries to do it right.