In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Real Fake Guns (Airsoft)

NotDraconNotDracon Member Posts: 63 ✭✭

We got any owners of fake, plastic BB shooting replicas here? Been trying to get back in PR's local scene, though it's hard to play here due to the heat and lack of formal airsoft places.

Now, why would you want these if you can own real ones? Well, they're fun to use and play against others with, ammo is dirt cheap, and some might even help you get used to the handling of the real deal.

Here's an old pic of my collection, some replicas have since been traded or modified but it's a nice picture:

Right now I've been sporting an L85 carbine and a golden deagle for my games and I've been liking it.

Don't suppose we have players here or people who have kids that play?

Comments

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19

My 2 grandsons ages 9 & 13 have a pretty good collection of them as they post World War II short movies to You Tube and considering their ages are quite good at it, They'd probably have more of them but half of their money is spent on uniforms and other items they need to do their filming. They really can't use real guns without ammo but some of their filming is done in public area and would freak people out. Their D Day video was shot on a public beach on Lake Michigan for example. I believe there You Tube channel is World of War but you can probably enter WWII short movies.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,362 ******

I recall years ago wanting to get serious about paintball. I researched all the guns and knew what I wanted but never had the $$ to get into it. I played a few times and it was a lot of fun. Then the sport took a turn into the weird and I totally lost interest. Then airsoft emerged onto the scene and became more what paintball should have been (and was at the outset). But by then I was into real guns and never got into it. I know I looked into simunitions for a while, but couldn't justify the incredible ammo expense- coupled with the fact it would be too easy to load live ammo in the real gun they work with.

I will say that it is incredibly fun. And the aspect of learning/rehearsing tactical maneuvers is a boon.

I loved that scene from Divergent where they play with stim darts. Now that is a sport I think I could really get into.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,698 ******

My granddaughter stopped by to show me some things. She pulls out a life size plastic 1911 from her truck. I strongly urged her to not carry it in her truck. I've heard too many stories of nervous cops and fake guns.

"GET ON THE GROUND! SHOW ME YOUR HANDS! GET ON THE GROUND! SHOW ME YOUR HANDS!"

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭

Actually I never really heard of airsoft matches until reading this post. I’ve heard of paintball before, but after reading up on airsoft it sounds like it would be a hoot to play.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,698 ******
    edited April 20

Notdracon, I gave you a disagree since you seemed to be collecting them. 😁

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭

While not a Airsoft, I have a rather unusual Crossman ,177 CO2 pistol. I found it in the armrest compartment in a '53 Studebaker I bought in '56. It doesn't use CO2 cartridges but has a 4"dia x 10" high pressure tank to recharge the gun many times. The tank could be recharged at my hobby store. I should put it on the auction side as it's been just sitting around for 60+ years!

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options

How mean! But to be honest, at first I thought you meant it was because I was collecting airsoft guns instead of using them before I saw your post in the other topic.

Going to see if I can attend a game tomorrow, taking today to take stock and maintenance of the gear I already have.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭

My son had a nice assortment of airsoft guns. Some, you could play with….but there were a couple that shot so hard that the plastic BB would go totally through a soda can. I took him to play with a group one day…..dropped him off at a friends house and gave the case of guns over to one of the parents. I told him there were a couple in the case that were NOT for playing war games with people, someone would get hurt. They didn't listen. When I picked my son up he jumped in the back seat and said…."I made a dad cry"

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options

Oh, oof. Yeah, even here where there's no formal regulatory organization, players will still be considerate and not bring a replica with an excessively high FPS (feet per second). Players in the "sniper" role are allowed a high-weight BB and a high FPS replica given their role and intended operating range, but everyone else usually stays below 380 FPS with their primaries and switches to a 300 or below FPS sidearm when within 20 feet or in CQC scenarios.

Even when we have no real referee or management staff on the field, playing with a superpowered FPS primary in semi-auto is a surefire way to attract the ire of your target, their teammates, and your teammates.

Of course, this is all when FPS limits are enforced. The community occasionally hosts "no limit" daredevil events where there's neither an fps or range of engagement limit… those are scary.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭

I would imagine. When I gave the case of guns to the other parent I figured they were going to play around with some target shooting as well as the team event they had planned. I specifically said "don't play with the two larger guns in this case" because I knew that would be bad. I kind of suspected they were morons before that day, so I sort of blamed myself for taking them over there.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭

Been thinking of selling off my paintball guns. Since I got no kids and my family's kids or friends kids don't deserve them. Besides getting beer money with them might be good.