In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

repair Dance revolver

playthingsplaythings Member Posts: 164 ✭✭

Would anyone recommend a gunsmith to repair an original Dance revolver? I inherited this from a friends estate. I know he purchased it from Dixie Gunworks about 40 years ago and it functioned correctly at that time. It is serial number 49 on all parts except the hammer which is serial number 284, serial numbers 48 and 50 are shown in the Dance revolver book by Gary Wiggins.

Presently the hammer is at about half cock and will not move from this position, the trigger will not move nor will the cylinder. It is completely locked up.

Although it is not in pristine condition, I believe this to be a valuable gun and don't want a "Hack Job" done on it.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if Dixie still have those? I don't imagine them to be that "valuable" (read repro and it smell of spaghetti) if dude got it from them.

I'd take the grips off and the barrel off then put that sucker in a can of Kroil for a nice soak. If that don't loosen up all that old crap then I reckon a trigger spring done got broke. Might as well take the trigger grip off to see if the spring is broke and jammed before the Kroil soak.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Any competant gunsmith in your area should be able to disassemble it and find the problem. But before I would turn it loose I would insure it. Dance revolvers are very collectable. Make sure the repair person understands that he is handling an expensive antique. Sometimes old screws can be very dificult to remove and may break when attempting to disassemble. Good luck.