In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sure could use a prayer or two for my Dad.

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭

He's 95 years old and can't stay in his own home anymore. He's in SW Oregon and has been here for nearly 40 years and doesn't want to leave. I asked him to come live with us up in Montana but he was adamant that he doesn't want to do that and honestly, I don't think my wife and I have the skills to take proper care of him. We found him a nice apartment in an assisted living complex that has a memory care unit should it become necessary. He knows it's time to make the move but he's having a tough time of it. He's worried about all his 'stuff'. I assured him we can move as much of it in with him as possible, his bed and some other furniture and of course pictures on the walls and such. There's 95 years worth of 'stuff' here and he had this house custom built.

They had to install a pacemaker 2 weeks ago to keep his heart on track. He's been passing out. Other than that he only takes one pill a day for his blood pressure and some vitamins. His short term memory is poor but he can plainly remember being on the USS San Marcos just after WWII and how to operate the 20mm AA gun he was assigned as his battle station. It's odd how the mind works when it starts to slip. Base on when he was in the Navy he's classed as a WWII vet though he entered after hostilities had ended. He was in the 302nd Construction Battalion and spent time on Adak, AK and Guam.

I've been down here for the past week with him and am about frayed out. Lots to do.

Thanks for any prayers and for letting me vent a bit.

Comments

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

Some years ago, my wife and I were in the same situation with my grandmother.......it's tough duty…...but, someone HAS to do it.

Much respect to you and yours.

Prayers up from Texas.

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Pulling for him Neo🙏🤍

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26

You’re a good man for showing up and being there for your father. I wish I had an answer for you, but unfortunately I don’t.
    I can understand your father’s point, that has been his home for the last 40 years and like most of us as we get old don’t care for major changes. I’m sure he understands that you love him and are only trying to get him to movie because you want the best for him. I will pray that the lord will guide you through this tough time.

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

NeoBlackdog, God bless you for looking after your dad so well. I was my Diane's caregiver for six years and the last two were a living hell but I don't regret one minute of it. You have my prayers for you and your dad. —————-Ray

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers sent from Commiforina for your dad and you ❤️🙏

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options

Thanks everyone. I'm 800 miles from home while my wife takes care of our place. T

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,416 ***** Forums Admin

Prayers for your dad, and you too Neo. I have walked in your shoes and there's nothing fun about it.

One thing about moving an elderly person out of their surroundings…….In 1997 we moved my mom from our place in Montana to be with us in western Washington. She thought that was ok, since she had been around the Puget Sound area during WWII. She was getting somewhat forgetful before we moved her, but once we got out of her familiar surroundings she fell apart rapidly. We moved her in Sept. 97 and by May of 98 she was in assisted living.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers from here

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

Prayers sent from here, for him and y'all. Moving him into assisted living will be good for him and you. It's hard but after a shot bit it becomes obvious it was the right call. Did that with my mom.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,385 ******

Not an easy task, my best friend is going in to assisted living and he is only 67 years old. I pray for you and your father. I think my friends kids just are giving up too easy, You sir are a good son.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,415 ******

I will add your dad and you Neo to my morning prayers.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,066 ******

Prayers for you and yours

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭✭

I understand what you are going through. My parents are in tough shape. I have a heart failure patient taking care of a dementia patient.

Prayers for all involved.

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

I am praying for all of you. Its a very hard thing to deal with. Good luck.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers from MO….

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,042 ✭✭✭✭

prayers for your father and for you.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭

At 98 my mother finally accepted that she has to go to an assisted living facility. That is after she gets the house in order and provided she can come home occasionally to get things and organize more. Fortunately we already moved her close by & the facility is only 9 miles away.

I feel for you and your wife, it's not easy. I was thinking about Ken84's sister today. It would be great to have the help that she provided for their Mom.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭

95yrs old, he is of the greatest generation. Sincere prayers from here.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers for all involved . Never an easy decision.I guess most of us fear loosing our abilities to do for ourselves and having to depend on others as our worst nightmare.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭✭

NBD, prayers and best wishes to you and your Dad.

Hope you get things sorted to ease things for both of you.

Mule

• Options

Sure appreciate that, Dave. He was doing pretty good last night, almost acting like he's looking forward to it. We'll see how it goes today. I hope he slept better last night than I did!

My step-sister and brother will be here to help. Their mom passed in 2020 but they still come look in on Dad.