In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger EC9s

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭

Would like some opinions from those of you with experience with the EC9s.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭

My wife recently sold an LC9s Pro that she carried as a backup. The two guns are very similar and while I've handled the EC, I never fired one. The sights on the newer EC are not as good as those on the LC.

Impressions about the LC is that the grip seemed very narrow, the bore axis seemed quite high, and I didn't much care for the trigger. (That coming from a Glock fan!) IIRC the mag only held 7 rounds. It felt quite snappy when fired.

My wife replaced her LC with a Glock 43x. If I were looking at a gun in that size range (and I am!) the 43x would be on the short list. 10 round capacity with an option for 15 using Shield Arms magazines.

Hope that helps.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,389 ******

@bullshot as Neo said it is a newer design based upon the older LC9. It is designed as a lower cost smaller CC pistol and for as low priced as they are, they got some pretty good reviews. I don't carry concealed very often but if I wanted a smaller than the SR9 I would definitely consider it a contender. I almost got a SR9C ( a compact that was available before the EC). Pros for the EC: smaller, low cost. reliable and accurate if you do your part. Cons non adjustable sights. Lower capacity although I heard there is supposed to be a 9 round mag available( I couldn't find it, 7 is stock) Not much in ways of accessories, but there is a laser for it on the Ruger site.

Overall a good gun for a beginner at a lower price point, but not designed to be a competition gun. If I had a reason for CC I'd consider it. I think my wife would like it more than her SR9 since it is smaller and very simple.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,722 ******

My wife got me one for my birthday a few years ago. It has been my warm weather carry gun every since. The only knock I have is the rectangular opening in the bottom of the frame where the trigger is. its a sharp 90 deg. and a abraids my trigger finger. Not severe but is annoying. I've found many other small semi autos have the same issue. Sig 365, for one.

Don't let that stop you from getting one. It's a great little gun.

• Options
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭

I rotate between 2 carry guns. A Glock 43X with 15 and 20rd Shield Arms mags and a Ruger LC9s Pro with a 7rd and 9rd magazine. I find the LC9s Pro has a similar trigger to a Glock and I shoot well with both.

I carry the Glock OWB and pocket carry the LC9s Pro in an Alabama Front Pocket Holster.

I have tritium night sights on both pistols. Which brings me to the EC9s, I don't like that Ruger removed the dovetailed sights on this pistol. Seems like a dumb move.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭

I have an LC9s as my truck piece. No problems at all with it.

Joe

• Options

If I had to replace my LC9s Pro, I would get a Max-9 Pro over the EC9S. It's basically a double stack LC9.

https://www.ruger.com/products/max-9/models.html

• Options

I think Doc (Saxon Pig) had one and liked it.

• Options
    edited April 29

That's the first I've seen that Savage Stance single stack 9mm. I'm amazed it actually has an ambi thumb safety. I see the no thumb safety is even less expensive at $270:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1045538705

Edited to add, I would want to shoot that Savage before buying. I have a feeling I will hate the trigger watching 2 review on it just now.