In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many telephone numbers do you know by memory?

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭

2 for me. 1st my childhood "home" and 2nd my current home. With that in mind if I land in jail and need bail I'm boned. Since the land line is maybe answered by me and I'll be in jail the answering machine will pick up. I need to tattoo some numbers on my body like "Memento".

Comments

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭

I know my childhood home number from when it started with a JE. Now no one knows their own number. I will ask someone for phone number and they have to look in their cell phone because they just have them all memorized in their phone.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭

So that means you don't even know 1?

What was I watching where the guy start punching numbers to call someone by memory. And yes the show by chance had a pay phone and a telephone booth.

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2

Relatively speaking - alot, 15-20. I have really good recall. People, (some), confuse the ability to retain information w/native intelligence. I.E. - spacial relationships, reading schematics - I'm not nearly as solid in that area. I can memorize a cc# pretty easily, in a few hours. I write down no pw's and just commit them to memory - usually. A really important one that i know will not get regular use I may put in my phone.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

back before retirement and before auto dialing by our "new" computerized system back in the 90's I had at least 75 phone numbers memorized along with at least 175 item codes and probably another 100 or so miscellaneous numeric codes for shippers and suppliers, when you use these 6 days a week for over 30 years they seem like second nature. But after years of retirement and not needing this "automatic" stored info, most …not all .. but most have faded away , thank goodness it has, it made room for more important things in the memory bank . 😎

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭✭

47. My cell phone is my auxiliary memory bank. My personal memory bank sucks more every month. The price of getting old I guess.

Joe

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭

It is crazy how many phone numbers I can still recall from the past. I still remember all my grandparents phone numbers, some childhood friends numbers. I can even recite some clients and vendors phone numbers from as far back as the late eighties. But, today with smart phones I rarely dial or punch in any ones actual number so I ain't learning any new ones

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭

Three. My number, my wife's, and the 1-800 # from that extremely rude "How's my driving?" bumper sticker.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    NotDraconNotDracon Member Posts: 66 ✭✭

Four over here. My own, my mom's, my dad's and my sibling's (because it used to be my own number).

Before cell phones became more widespread, I used a Casio watch with a keypad to record other peoples' phone numbers. That was a nice watch, always got me curious looks and people asking about it.

• Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,393 ******

These days only my own, since I have to enter it to get points for discounts on things I buy at the gas station convenience store…

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭

My own and 911.
    A few years ago I realized this problem, and a lot of times I go to town and don’t take my phone with me. I have made a phone list on a cut down note card I carry in my wallet, and in the event I don’t have my phone and need to call someone I have their number.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭

At my age I have to think a bit before I recall my own. I do remember my grandparents number in Indy from the '40's and my home phone number from Peoria in the '50's. I would like to punch the person that came up with this "golden years" statement.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,107 ******

8-1-1 so I know where to put the hole

9-1-1 takes too long

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭

4. Mine, my wife's, my late dad's, and our childhood farm home. Of course some of the public ones already mentioned above.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,107 ******
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 705 ✭✭✭✭

867-5309

And of course, BR-549

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,739 ******

I've only lived in three houses in my 70 years. I remember the house phone numbers of the three.

Funny story:

I bought my first house in 1977. The phone number was ×××-3536. The taxi cab's number was xxx-3635. Some nights I would get a phone call from the local beer joint. " Can you send a cab to pick me up?"

After so many times I would just say " Yeah, buddy I'll be right there." I wonder how long the drunks would wait until they figured it out.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

One- mine ——————Ray

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,443 ******

Our current landline is only one number off from the town mom and pop drug store. I get a lot of requests for refills! 😁

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭

TWO and 911 doesn't count.

• Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭

Two:

867-5309 and 800-588-2300 Empire 🎵

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭✭

Like @TANK78Z I had many numbers, etc. committed to memory. Luckily, I forgot them all.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,725 ✭✭✭✭

I had so many memorized until around 2 years ago….when a lot of my family decided to go with "just cell phones"…..I only have my son's phone number memorized because when my girls turned 17 they were pretty much grown…..my son is 27 and I swear some days I'll give any girl that marries him everything I own. BOYS!

I've had the same home number forever…..and it turned into the business number. So, I'll have a land line forever. We have HORRIBLE cell service here, so I don't see ever turning off our land line.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭

I of course remember our 2 land lines. I know mine lol it was my dad's business number. I know my cousins... I also know my childhood friends number and few others. It's hard a lot of people don't have land lines anymore.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,662 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5

I Remember my parents' number as they had it for 50 plus years both are gone now RIP

My wifes parents phone number from before we married same both have passed away RIP

A old GF parents phone number who are both deceased RIP she is who I got the car photos from a week or so ago