In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This never gets any easier...

Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited May 3 in General Discussion

Well… it's down to nut-cuttin' time w/this old guy. He's a complicated dude - hard early life and on death-row when my GF took him on. He had pretty obviously been smacked up by a dude and had real issues w/men v women. We've had a few cross words, but I really just loved on him until we found our way. He will be 16 on July 1 but I'm not thinking we have that much glide path. This part tears your @$%#ing heart out every time - but i sure know i would want someone to make the call for me if it came to it. He's been a good boy - not a dog I would have ever picked, but apparently the one I needed...

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,726 ✭✭✭✭

That's a tough road to travel, indeed. Just keep in mind that he'll be waitin' for you.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭

We faced that with our Dudley a few years back. He also was 16 and his quality of life was going down fast. He was having seizures, was slowly going blind, hard of hearing and issues with making it outside. You could almost see the sadness in his eyes when he accidently did his business in the house. When I saw him standing on the porch where he loved to be, shaking and standing in his water dish, unaware of where he was, it was time……… We had to do it for him as hard as it was it was the right time…

Sorry you are facing this difficult time…

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,075 ✭✭✭✭

very tough to say goodbye to a furry family member

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,451 ***** Forums Admin

It NEVER gets any easier. Glad you gave the old boy a good life. You taught each other to love.

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭

I don't know why I click on these threads, ...,

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly we have been their to many times over our life's

So much unconditional love and each one takes s part of our hearts with them

No words can ease the heartache

But sorry and think of the good times and life you shared

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭

A terrible decision that sometimes you are faced with but have to make. You did right by him all these years and I am sure you will do the same now.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭✭

I can't really think of anything to say that the others haven't already said. Except maybe to say "thank you" for sharing.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭

Bless you. You will know when the time is right.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭

What a lucky boy to have had you come into his life and give him a wonderful life.

I wish they lived longer than their short lives because I cannot imagine what it would be like to not have pets.

I tell myself I'm not getting another one because how much it hurts to let them go. I know I'll never be without a pet though…. remembering them all is just as joyful as it is painful.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭

The most poetic and true words Ive read here in a long time.

not a dog I would have ever picked, but apparently the one I needed...

You gave him a great life, 16! You are lucky to have each other.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭

It was maybe 15 years ago I had to say good by to Pike. I remember the night before. I was his servant; what ever he wanted he could have. I petted him as they put him to sleep, then brought him home to bury him. There is always that gap for a while afterwards. We had him 13 years, he was family.
    It’s hard; no other way to say it.

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭

A very heart felt Sorry ! I've been in that spot too many times over the last 38 years since I've become a Dog owner or should i say being owned by my dogs