In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Magazine Skimming….Got Me Again (maybe)

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭

Just picked up a Ruger Security-9 Pro, as there had been a good deal through a major online retailer I’m sure most would be familiar with. Anyhow, I pick it up and, sure enough, only had two mags instead of the 3 it should have. Called the retailer, who told me all I could do was send the whole gun back, call Ruger, or live with it. Well, I didn’t love those choices….but Ruger did me right and is sending a magazine out in short order. Anyhow, this is the third time this year I have been shorted a magazine with a pistol (different retailers). Makes me wonder how much is REALLY the manufacturer, and how much is a middle man skimming a mag along the way. What do y’all think?

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

If a gun I bought didn't come with everything advertised, I'd not take possession of said gun.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭

Who opened the box?

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭

It is no secret some sellers will keep the extra mags and sometimes the box. They will give you a cheap case and maybe the warranty registration & hope you just walk out happy. Sometimes they will sell the gun as used and like new for the same price as new. They keep boxes, mags, & accessories to sell on line or gun shows. Extra mags & original factory boxes can bring in up to a additional hundred bucks for the seller.

Check E**y and other sites about prices boxes and accoutrements bring if you have doubts.

Every new gun should come with a box and all the paperwork. Best visit manufacturers website to find out if any spare mags are included.

• Options

Yep, almost went that route, but decided it would be an even bigger hassle for me.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭✭

I quit working for a dealer who would skim mags, slings, pouches, etc. If the customer said something, he would blame the distributor. Then play the big man by "replacing" the items from his private collection.

• Options
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭

Not a magazine but a suppressor mount ($100 part) was 'missing' from the packaging of a fairly expensive NFA device. Signed for at every transaction or stop along the way but NO ONE took responsibility. The factory made it right but I don't think they were the culprit. Factory rep 'suggested' that someone in the loop was 'skimming' for their own profit.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,725 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it is the wholesale end that takes the mags….there is at least two different huge outfits that we used to order from when I worked retail that would send ONE mag with a gun you knew came with at least two from the factory. I quit worrying about what is "supposed" to be there and just try to remember and check on what is included. Sometimes they'll have three mags, but they charge for shipping unless you order a LOT……another place will have the same thing with two mags, but free shipping. The math works out the same, so you just try to order from someone that will sell you the harder to get things if you order enough over time. Its a game all the sellers have to play.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,393 ******

Seen that happen many times, I have just said no deal to the seller if it was supposed to be new in box and find another seller…If sold as used, I'd buy if it was disclosed and price was right.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭

Times are tough (read bidenomics).

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited May 8

some dealers take a mag out to sell it cheaper. Sleazy how many were advertised up to him not ruger