In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Donating platelets is so boring.

NotDraconNotDracon Member Posts: 66 ✭✭

Got called to duty again so I'm in a big medical chair right now strapped to a centrifuge machine that's sucking out my blood, extracting platelets, and then returning blood back to me until it's time for the blood and plasma extraction. Good thing I've got my phone at least, because man is this boring. But it's all for a good cause, so that keeps me motivated to come. On my 3rd donation visit right now, apparently I get a gift for my 8th. Exciting.

Comments

• Options
    NotDraconNotDracon Member Posts: 66 ✭✭

Wait, crud. Does this fall under whining or griping? I hope not.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭✭

A plasma center recently opened up near here .If you donate the max times per month you get about $850.00. Sadly I am too old and on too many meds . Would make nice fun money for new toys that go boom

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭

They come right to the hospital every eight weeks and set up in one of the big conference rooms to get blood from employees who want to donate

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,393 ******

A co-workers son had something wrong that needed AB neg platelets which I had, so I did it multiple times years ago but they had individual headsets and tv screens and you could pick out a movie to watch, as long as the techs were good it was no bother.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,725 ✭✭✭✭

My sister does that for a little extra money….she's a stay at home mom. I had no clue you could get that kind of money. I am seriously contemplating looking into this. Who couldn't use $850 per month??? That kind of money is worth it if its possible. I never asked her what she made doing it.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    blitz10blitz10 Member Posts: 3

I donate regularly, since 1976. Used to be the Red Cross in NC, now at the hospital's blood bank in TX. I used to give on the due date, now the due date or several weeks after it. Up to 50+ gallons. Whole blood is every 8 weeks, Apheresis(sp) is every 16 weeks. I usually go every 16 weeks. I used to really like going, kind of like the TV show Cheers, everybody knew your name. Not now, newer building and all young techs that change faces often. Not the same as the old days. Do get the wife a T-shirt every time I go, I don't wear them.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭

I should donate more than I do. Being O- there is always a need.