In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

revolver cylinder dirty

onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited May 11 in Ask the Experts

the exit end (next to forcing cone) of each chamber on my ss revolver cylinder has a "ring" around each chamber. Initially 1/4" black ring around each chamber. Hours of soaking and a bronze brush and it looks clean BUT when the light is right I can still see the 1/4" ring. Faint, but still there. Am I expecting too much or is there a way to remove the "Shadow" ?

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,453 ***** Forums Admin

That's just the way revolvers that have been fired look. Consider it a rite of passage. No reasonable way to remove it that I am aware of.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Sounds like the metal is "stained." Matal polish should remove it. If it is just stained it doesn't hurt anything and you can remove it from time to time. Good luck.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭

Try an ink eraser. If that doesn't work Flitz Metal Polish

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭

0000 steel wool. Works wonders! Just be sure to remove ALL the steel wool pieces afterwards!

• Options
    onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

I appreciate all the insight and information. Great source. Thanks All.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭

Unless it is unusually thick for some reason, or if you fire a lot of short case ammo such as firing a lot of .38 Specials in a .357 revolver, it is probably best to just leave it alone. The ring is going to come back anyway with use. Vigorous scrubbing could effect accuracy just like cleaning a rifle from the muzzle can wear the rifling.

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭

Do they still make the old "Wipe Away" gun cleaning cloth? The package I have, has been sitting in a Ball Mason jar, on the back of my workbench, for over 45 years.

It says "Just wipe away lead, burn rings, and carbon build-up". It also says "Use with caution on blued and case-hardened surfaces". I also seem to remember something about being careful on plated surfaces.

Over the years.......I've used small pieces to clean burned boltfaces.......strong stuff.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to suggest green scrubby pads. I remember back in the day there was a spray on thing for black powder that was to make cleaning easier after a day of shooting. I forget the name since the green scrubby works. Also I use the scrubby sparingly since that stuff will remove metal.

• Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭

I've cleaned that up several times by getting the surface very wet with some kind of good bore solvent (hoppes, proshot, etc-as long as it dissolves fowling) then go after it with some kind of small brush. Takes multiple times and patience is needed. Trick is to let the solvent do the work. Just like carding rust off a gun. Will take a while, but will get there eventually.

This discussion has been closed.