In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Egg prices still silly in yout hood?

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭

Are they still like $6.00 a dozen? That's a gallon of gas prices here. Man the cartels need to start growing them like illegal pot groves.

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,436 ******

Here, we are surrounded by a plethora of backyard chicken farmers. Did it myself for a couple of years but found it much more economical to just buy the eggs.

On average, chicken eggs from these neighbors run around 3 dollars a dozen. Duck eggs go for around 4 bucks.

Once in a while someone will have an over-abundance that need to sell ASAP and they advertise special cheap prices on local FB page.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,653 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking from some one who's wife has had chickens at least 40 years plus as pets and were now down to the last dozen or so including a turkey a goose and guineas

we will not replace when them when gone and their aĺ old anf just extra work and feed bill now

Some years ago we use to give away many dozens of eggs a week.

We had 30 or 40 chickens And roosters ,also dozen ducks or so

it was too much trouble to try and sell the eggs and we even burned out friends and family out on eggs but feed was some what cheap also back then

We use to just boil up dozens at a time, mash them up shell included feed them back to the birds

Honest its Cheaper to just buy eggs

I am Not sure of local prices, i know its not six dollars a dozen

but we have been buying some for the first time in years

but we only go thru a dozen or so a week

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭✭

The chicken farmers a getting very little of that as usual. If they get any extra, it will be short lived and the price at the retailer will be lucky if it ever comes down much.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭

Still in the $5 range in our area. We just have 8 chickens now and get more than enough eggs.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭

Live in a poultry producing state and buy locally for $2.50 a dozen.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,734 ******

We have 11 hens that lay 8-10 eggs per day. A $11 bag of feed lasts about 2 weeks. The eggs are big and taste better than store bought. There are other minor expenses, but still...

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭✭

Have 4 hens currently laying and 17 others in the pipeline .be about two more months before they are producing

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭

Neighbors used to help us out with eggs. But the Hawks and foxes are keeping that out now.

Wally world is $ 5.60 per 18 (that a weeks worth for us)

Farmers market is about $ 4.00 for 12 .That's every 2 weeks.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭✭

Eggs and bacon are crazy expensive... We try to by local eggs when we can. Would like to get chickens again but the hawks hunt in our garden for rodents and doves and out at the ranch we have an eagles nest and a red shoulder nest.… Some day. It's getting to the place where if you can you should be as self sufficient as you can.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭

Stopped by Lucky on my way home yesterday and they had 18 count eggs at $6.99 with in store coupon of $3.00 the carton was stamped 5/11/24. Good enough for egg salad or pickled eggs.

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

We're at $1.89 to $2.29 a dozen except when the local mini market has them for $.99.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭

Had not bought any for a long time so grabbed a couple dozen today. $2/dozen in Des Moines.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭

Back down to $190 now.

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Local Wally world has 60 eggs for $9.99

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have a 'hood' and the eggs come from yard bird hens about 4 miles away. I think we're giving the folks $1.50-2.00/dozen. He'd like to give them to us but I pay him something to cover feed costs.