In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I watched the neighbor harvest wheat today...

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,819 ✭✭✭✭

It was really miserable out there today. 95 and a hot wind to go with it. My neighbor was out clearing the wheat field across the road from our place. I really enjoy watching big machinery, but am happy I was not out there doing it….. I thought it was a pretty sight..

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,240 ******

He'll feel good to have that done.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭

It's even more fun when there's no air conditioned cab on the combine!!

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,819 ✭✭✭✭

I have been there……I even remember driving one without a cab at all when I was a young man.

Luckily the neighbor has AC….I have ridden around with him when he combines our crops.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24

Back around '55 or '56 I helped my Uncle Grayson haul lumber/wheat in summer when school was out. We were fully loaded and then some one hot day with bags of wheat. Wheat was a very big crop in those days in Central, Virginia. I believe we were at the Meridith farm in Bumpass, Virginia. We went across a bridge on the farm's dirt road and the timber started to crack. He had a Chevy duce and a half with the little red button on the side of the floor gear shift. He hollared "Junior hang on we are going in" He grabbed the little red button for low/low two speed axle too late. There we sat in the creek looking up at the sky.

We lost a third of the load in the creek and spent the rest of the day trying to save what was left of the wheat. Once it gets soaked it is done. The Meridith son took us to Kemps garage and it cost Uncle Grayson a weeks pay to get us out of that collapsed bridge with the wrecker.

As i recall when we got to the grainery in Richmond they would stick a big long brass? tube with a window in it in a bag before they would accept a load and then weigh it.

Just before we arrived home Uncle Grayson stopped at the General store and sent me inside for ice cream. I had the vanilla popsicle covered in chocolate and Grayson ate a whole quart of vanilla. Don't know anyone that ate a whole quart in one sitting.————————Ray

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,272 ✭✭✭✭

Cool to watch. Almost mesmerizing.

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,965 ✭✭✭✭

The first combine I drove was a Massey Harris Super 27. It had a 13 foot header and was slow. It did not have a air conditioner, it had a water cooler. Don

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,539 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23

my first was a John Deere 55, 18 foot header, self leveling with a sun shade. $100 a day in 1979 - living large.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭

Next week in north MO. Could possibly have started tomorrow but had .6" of rain last night.

Will have to use our old combine as the 'new to us' combine is still sitting in Kansas with a computer brain phart.

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭

As i recall when we got to the grainery in Richmond they would stick a
    big long brass? tube with a window in it in a bag before they would
    accept a load and then weigh it.

yep checking for bugs

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,539 ✭✭✭✭

Bugs, chaff, etc. to grade the percentage of waste in the load. Early in the season it is also a moisture check, and you won’t be unloaded if moisture is too high. Wet grain is a fire hazard as well as a mold/rotting hazard.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭

All of the winter wheat and rye harvests are done here. Lots of panicky folks on Facebook worried about the big clouds of smoke from the burnoff of the stubble . City folks got no clue.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....