In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vintage Sears retractable trouble lite

asopasop Member Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭✭

Mod. #83914. Wires pulled out of the base and I can't figure how to reattach! Anyone know how to get a schematic maybe of this? Thanks

Comments

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭✭

Check youtube . Not a sears but they're probably similar.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Toolman286. I have two of those in my shop and am waiting for that to happen to me.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,328 ✭✭✭✭

New ones don't cost all that much.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,736 ******

I have repaired, and modified many items at a cost higher than buying a new one. But by golly, I fixed it and they did not get my money for a new one.

Penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind. They got your money for parts though.

Every time. But I did it my way, bull headed ill show 'em.

I don't admire your economics my friend, but I'll buy the coffee, pizza, beer or, well most any social lubricant (forget new cars) any time.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭

OK kids. Let's chill. I agree that sometimes it's less expensive to buy a new item than to repair the old one. But there is a certain satisfaction in the repair itself. I guess it depends on at least two things - how much money you have to spare and how much extra time you have.

It's too late for me, save yourself.

Joe and I were funning, no conflict. and do remember, Ama… delivers.

edited July 15

Correct. And I'd love to have coffee with He Dog.

I'll bring my lectric coffee pot I put a retractable cord onto.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15

I get hammered by my wife and kids for repairing every thing I can

I blame it on as a kid what ever we had , well it had to last or go with out

I could not count all the things I have repaired thru out my life Most people would have tossed .

last ten years or so i would Usually do l such repairs late night while watching TV as i got older same with the Lego AR kits

I look it as most were easy no cost or low cost repaires besides if I could not repair it what the heck it was broke any way

Also even as a small kid, I liked working or taking apart everything just to learn as I am sure some of you did or still do

Sad it's a dying art as parts are expensive as posted, and that's if you can even get them

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭✭

I was a lot like you Dave, when I was a kid. If I could get my hands on something new, The first thing I did was to take it apart just to see what it was made of. And most of the time I could get it back together before my mother found out. 😁

Joe

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭✭

We live in a throwaway society but I am a bit behind the times. I like to repair and reuse whenever I have something I really like or am really comfortable with

Hmmm, maybe my skills are more directed at recycling. Can anyone repair last years TV any more?

• jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭✭

Bought two of those at the flea market for $10 each and use them mostly as an electrical cord to stretch out in the shop and retract fast.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭

I doubt many DIYers could but I re member as all of you

TV repair was a big deal and even our small town had several such places

Not to mention local places had the "tube test stations set up just inside with a stock of tube's under the table

In 9th grade I remember re pairing my parents TV replacing resistor and heat sinks and a can of contact cleaner. (Yes I know I should have paid more attention in English class LOL)

But Your spot on We live in a throw away society in the USA anyway

look at cars with out a 5k to infinity $$$ costing computer to determine what's wrong any more

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭

I have some of those by the shop doors that I use often, one is mounted on the outside wall and been in use for years and also have the more expensive Heavy Duty high priced Crouse Hinds Some of the Crouse Hinds reels are ceiling mounted and really handy when the work bench is not against the wall. I've repaired the Sears units several times and have also replaced the cords. (but I'm one of those guys that can repair things)

On my Sear type units I spray paint a spot on the cord so as I know to stop before pulling the cord to the end of it's limits and I do not subject the Sears type reel units to high amperage tools.

The cord can be seen on the open reel on the Crouse hinds units.

If you check the prices of the new Crouse Hinds Industrial type cord reels most people will get a surprise at the cost.