In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who’s Getting Slapped by HELENE?

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 26 in General Discussion

Just finally cranking up here east of Tampa. Some bands of heavy rain and wind, but nothing too crazy so far. Glad it drifted more West. Not good for the Big Bend, but at least less populated over there.

Sure looking forward to retiring back to the Blue Ridge where I won’t have to deal with this nonsense. This is, I think, our 11th or 12th, not even counting the smaller Tropical Storms.

Comments

• Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭

Not yet here in WNC but we are sure getting worshed real good. 5 inches here since 5 pm last night and just about 10 miles south the got 8 from the tropical storm. Radar shows more heavy rain and 60 mile per hour wind on the way tomorrow from this storm. Local goberments have declared a state of emergency and set a curfew from 8PM tonight until early tomorrow.

Helene won't be here until Saturday morning. Sure glad I live on high ground.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,414 ******

Hope those in the path stay safe, minimal damage.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭

I sure hope my wonderful sister-in-law in Bradenton is OK. Where is the green font button?

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,686 ✭✭✭✭

we are heading to Florida tomorrow afternoon.

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,645 ✭✭✭✭

We're near Flagler beach (15 miles north of Daytona) and we haven't even had much rain yet, the wind is picking up significantly however. The worst is yet to come but it's not going to be anything compared to you folks on the left side of the state.

Praying for you guys.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭

Me, right in the path just a few miles North of Albany, Ga, I'm as ready as anyone can be……..Dcon is a few miles South of Albany and I''m sure his pecan trees will give him a fit (shallow roots) afterwards. We should be use to these things by now that they come every 2/3 years but the hard work is the cleanup afterward that's what's really tough. It's all in our creators hands now 😉

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭✭

Here in Upstate S.C. it has been raining most of the day. Just as I started typing this it really started pouring!

Weather report says it will rain all night and on until early afternoon.

Where we are located we are very safe, just very wet.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,054 ******

Here in Virginia, still and clear.

Still raining, clear up to my butt.

JD give yourself a promote or at least a small raise!

I hope you have long legs, mine are short, with gobs of liquid on the way

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭

Global warming here 75 and beautiful. No frost yet or in the forecast, strange year.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭✭

She's still spinning at Cat 4 level and has made landfall. Heading inland and northwest. Looks as if she's going to march through western Georgia, northern Alabama into Tennessee. I remember Katrina still blowing at Cat 1 level into Arkansas. At Cat 4 I wonder if Helene will do the same thing.

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭

It dropped to Cat 1 very quickly. Came thru central Ga as Cat 1 then dropped to tropical storm. No power here, off since 4am. Local news says 4 dead so far, 2 in a mobile home(tornado), one in a car crash, one tree fell on house.

Biggest damage around here is a few trees down. I expect more to fall. Prob had 8 to 9 inches of rain and the wind is still whipping.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,560 ✭✭✭✭

Clear and sunny here in San Francisco this morning. Best wishes to those in the path.

I'm the black dot on the map. Wind gusts up to 40 mph. Wind warning in effect until 7 am tomorrow morning. East of me I'm sure its even worse.

We have had a good amount of rain over the past couple of weeks so we may have trees down just by roots losing their grip and tipping over.

Forecast is showing four days of rain. The way it looks, many others will be having multiple days of rain. I'm going out of town for a week. Probably will have knee deep grass when I get back.

• RidefarRidefar Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

It veered east just enough to miss a direct hit on wifes family in Crawfordville . . . we think.

Have not heard from them yet, but with those winds it would be amazing if they were not impacted in a big way.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭

40MPH gusts here in scenic Lizton, Indiana. Rain through Monday.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,251 ******

Calling for up to 55 mph gusts here in dead middle Illinois.
    My friend in St Pete had storm swell of about a foot in their house and garage.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,560 ✭✭✭✭

Nice place to visit, but I would not live here either. Sea food is way better than NM.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,748 ✭✭✭✭

Toolman286 - Did the house get wet?

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭

5th day with no power,roads have just been made passable here where NC,SC and Ga.meet.We are doing well with a generator,camp stove,and Blackstone grill.

• Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭✭

Bad juju hit our Southern friends. Prayers for anyone affected by the wrath of mother nature.

Hoping the best for all in the path of that radical *.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭

Yosh, The house stayed dry & is waiting for you. AL

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭

I watch this guy’s videos every now and then. This one gives an up close look at what happened on the coast of the Big Bend area. Reminds me a lot of coastal Mississippi the day after KATRINA.

I recall flying into Charleston South Carolina just after Hugo hit in 1989. We had been stationed in Baumholder Germany. Did a PCS back to the states. Had already shipped our minivan. It arrived there before Hugo hit.

We were worried it had been damaged, totaled or swept away. We were seeing the news reports on AFN about how all of the above had happened to various POV's that had arrived there from Bremerhaven Germany.

We had to piece together our flights to get to our destination. Our final leg was a puddle jumper into Charleston since that's all the airport could land at the time.

As we came in over the area to land it was as if the world had ended. Trees snapped off about 8 feet up. Not just here and there, but from the coast inland almost a mile. Everything just gone.

Hugo was a Cat 5 with 169 mph winds. We arrived and our van had survived. There was a small area of damage near the windshield. The airport was still being repaired with areas tarped.

Once you see the damage you understand how amazing it is that more lives are not lost.

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭

Traitor Joe & cameltow.

The local news (Roanoke, Va) has been reporting that Helene has the second highest death toll for US hurricanes after Katrina. So, I called and asked what about Galveston Tx in 1900. DUH, what"? The "news" person never heard of it and that thousands had died. Just google it! On the next news cast they added, "in the last 50 years," instead of mentioning Galveston.

Not taking up for the gangsters in DC but this round of disaster is overwhelming to say the least, very wide spread and rough terrain.

We have had many local people and and many choppers and agencies delivering supplies and work efforts round the clock. Best of the best in light of the magnitude of the issue.

No room for complaining about anything.

edited October 5

What about CAMILE (259)? As of the last count, HELENE was still behind that one…. although I believe it will ultimately surpass it when all is settled.

One thing that burns me up is all these outside folks going into NC and taking videos for YouTube so they can get views and get paid. How about putting down the camera and start helping out?!!! If I were standing in the rubble of my home, and possibly the death-site of loved ones, friends, and neighbors, I don’t think I’d take too well to some idiot coming in to “document” it with their selfie stick.

@Frogdog I got burnt up this evening when someone commented that Dolly Parton only donated 2 Million and that she could afford more. Yeah, well how much have you and your liberal friends donated. Then I let her have it and she tucked tail.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭✭

I have had first hand experience with the " disaster tourism freaks" . It is good that most of the people being gawked at were holding a shovel.or some such instead of a gun .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭

Just wait until the insurance adjusters show up, that's when the guns need to come out to get the pay-out you deserve for losses and paid premiums for. Can you say "Snakes".

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Yep. Way back when I worked as a field adjuster, the company would pull people from call centers, who had no idea what they were doing, to work storms and estimate total losses. Ridiculous. And then there’s the “independent adjusters” who come in and convince people they need their services….. just so they can take a big chunk of the pay-out.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,414 ******