In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Picked up my first M1 Garand. An Arlington Ordinance Converted 7.62 NATO Tanker

DCastro713DCastro713 Member Posts: 28
edited October 15 in Ask the Experts

Hello,

Picked up an M1 Garand converted to 7.62 NATO Tanker by Arlington Ordinance from a local gun store. It was sold AS-IS and told it was chambered in 30-06 but the barrel said 7.62 NATO.

Based on the serial number this is a 1443 Springfield Armory Garand.

Most of what I found online were not favorable concerning Arlington Ordinance but Ian McCullum from Forgotten Weapons seems to like his.

https://youtu.be/4qaTRwq-IRc?si=cfNX8-Gp7xgu6ol0

This is my first M1 Garand, and yes I know it would be better to get a standard M1 first, but the price was way to good to pass up.

From what I have read it might be best to stick to M80 ball ammo but should I also look at getting an aftermarket gas block? Also asking since I haven't been able to remove the existing gas block yet. Don't want to use too much force so been using Kroil trying to loosen it.

Also, any other advise anyone would like to give before I take it to the range?

Thanks in advance.

David

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭

If your only concern when buying a gun is "good price", you have a lot of disappointment waiting for you. The red lights are flashing & the horns are blaring. The only company that I have seen consistently convert an M1 to a "tanker" is Springfield Armory Inc. It doesn't sound like you have one of these. You might be able to convince Fulton Armory to do a Technical Inspection before you fire it, that will assure you that the rifle is safe to fire.

My greatest fear is that your rifle will fail & launch the operating rod into your face. It's not worth taking a chance.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,358 ******

Dang, that worries me just hearingabout it. Be really careful.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭

Check for weld marks on the receiver. There where some receivers made from scraped receivers in the past.

• DCastro713DCastro713 Member Posts: 28

Thanks for the comments.

I am aware of the risks of starting with a lower price firearm but I have having fun taking firearms that are in terrible shape (so rusted nothing moves, broken or just a used bare receiver) and seeing if I can get them to run.

I included the photo of the receiver to show it doesn't appear to be welded together but looks can be deceiving.

I did take it to a local gunsmith to check it out and although the barrel and chamber were in less then ideal condition he thought it should be safe to shoot. He also did not see any weld marks. But I plan to lock it down and fire using a string. I am crazy but not stupid!! 🤣

Same with a Marlin 336 lever action in 30-30 that I had him check after I built it from parts.

I also have an Arisaka Type 99 and a 1906 Luger in 7.65mm that I have worked on but these I haven't tested yet due to the lack of ammo.

I live on Guam and the firearm and ammo restrictions are crazy. My best chance is a newly opened gun store that agreed to bring 2 boxes of each caliber in with a 50% deposit. Other LGS's required 100% deposit and a minimum of 1/2 case or full case if they were willing to even bring it in.

Anyway, that's all for now. I hope to get to the range tomorrow and hope to give an update.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

Damn… So are all the guns in Guam cobbled together from the parts bin?

edited October 10

No, most people here buy brand new but a new fully functioning firearm is boring to me. I prefer a challenge and taking a rusted and/or broken tool (firearm, car, power tool, etc.) and getting it to work again is therapeutic. And if there is anything I need is therapy!!! 😂😂😂

But, yes, most of my firearms are cobbled together!!!

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭

from the early 2000 era if i remember they put the navy type chamber sleeve for 308

Funny thing, since I was told it was chambered in 30-06 when I bought it, I actually purchased a "navy sleeve" to convert it but when I tore down the gun I found out the barrel was actually 7.62 NATO so good to go.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭

let us know shooting results

edited October 14

I'M ALIVE!!!!

Back from the range.

The tanker ran fine.

I started with the rifle in a gun vise and loaded 1 round. Fired and got the famous ping! Loaded 1 more round and another ping!!

Ran a few clips and was ringing steel.

Other then the bolt not going into battery a few times and having to hit the charging handle everything else went perfectly with the M1. Think some internal polishing should smooth the feeding issue

Can't say the same with my Marlin lever.

Going to have to tear it down and fix a few internal issues.

Real happy with the purchase.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,358 ******

Glad it worked out for you, you're safe, and you're happy with it. In the end, we'll done. Congrats.

This discussion has been closed.