.

Wtb Remington nylon 66 chrome receiver cover.

dakotart99dakotart99 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Looking for a chrome receiver cover for Remington nylon 66. Condition is not super important as rest of gun has some wear.
Thanks

Comments

  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,497
    edited November -1
    Isn't the serial number stamped into the cover???

    IIRC, it is, then that piece is THE gun, according to Batf.

    Will need to go thru a ffl.
    [xx(]
  • jerry batemanjerry bateman Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A percentage of these Rem. Nylons didn't have a serial no. and some had the serial no. on the bottom of the barrel.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,497
    edited November -1
    Found this...

    ""Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 rifles were not required to have serial numbers on them. Remington started numbering Nylon rifles in 1967 starting with #40000-419011. In 1968 the numbers ranged from 419012-473710. The serial numbers were located on the bottom of the barrel, below and just back a bit from the front sight.
    In December of 1968 serial numbers were moved to the receiver cover and re-started at 2100000 and went to 2599999 in January of 1977. In February 1977 an "A" was added and the range was restarted at A2100000. These serial number series pertain to all Nylon rifles, not just Nylon 66s.""
  • dakotart99dakotart99 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will go through my ffl if anybody has one for sale.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Strange as it sounds the cover for the nylon is like the receiver or frame for any normal firearm. Ever without a serial number on it, it must still be transferred through an FFL.
  • jerry batemanjerry bateman Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cover is held on with 2 screws. If the cover doesn't have a serial no. on it, it doesn't have to be shipped to an FFL. It is considered a part like trigger for example.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,497
    edited November -1
    Jerry is correct. No number, the feds don't care.
    It's a U shaped piece of sheet metal, same as the gutters on your roof.[;)]
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Are you guys sure? Saw a receiver at the gunshow. It had no serial number. Still have to be transferred though an FFL. It didn't have a serial number but it was considered a receiver. Almost bet you dollars to donuts if the cover for a nylon with a serial number counts as a receiver one without a serial number will count as a receiver. Spider? Help.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,497
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Are you guys sure? Saw a receiver at the gunshow. It had no serial number. Still have to be transferred though an FFL. It didn't have a serial number but it was considered a receiver. Almost bet you dollars to donuts if the cover for a nylon with a serial number counts as a receiver one without a serial number will count as a receiver. Spider? Help.


    Don't get hung up on the "receiver" as the Batf part. It's not always
    the "important" item.
    IE.. One side plate of a Browning machine gun is the "bad" part.
    And many Nylon guns had serial numbers on the BARRELS. That is what Batf needs.

    The nylon guns function pretty well without the cover on them.[;)]

    Here's some light reading for you.....[;)]
    https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1285582

    Note the feds say the part that houses the trigger/hammer/ barrel is the receiver. [:0]
  • jerry batemanjerry bateman Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Babun & I have EXPLAINED all the ATF rules on the Remington nylon guns and you refuse to believe the fundamental truth. Well if Spider knows anything about Remington nylons, he is going to tell you the same thing we have told you. I have been an FFL Dealer since 1970 and I deal in the hard to get collective Rem. nylons. I carry an inventory of appx. 25 Nylons year around, and I know all about these guns.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,599 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jerry bateman
    Babun & I have EXPLAINED all the ATF rules on the Remington nylon guns and you refuse to believe the fundamental truth. Well if Spider knows anything about Remington nylons, he is going to tell you the same thing we have told you. I have been an FFL Dealer since 1970 and I deal in the hard to get collective Rem. nylons. I carry an inventory of appx. 25 Nylons year around, and I know all about these guns.

    I agree, Jerry. The Nylon 66 is unique in that the stock is actually the "receiver". The receiver cover is just that: a cover for the receiver, a/k/a the stock.

    Another example that comes to mind is the receiver cover for the Henry .22 lever action. It looks like a receiver but it isn't and can be purchased without an FFL.

    https://www.henryrifles.com/product/personalized-henry-golden-boy/

    pers-finished-detail1.jpg
  • ALFONSEALFONSE Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice reading from all, but no one has answered Dakotart99.

    Probably should go to a different forum for the discussion and leave Dakotart99 alone.

    That being said, can anyone quote the actual ATF regulation for this.
    I've always transferred the cover as the receiver.
    My ATF inspector has no problem with that.
    Everyone has an opinion, but what is the real deal...
    Al
    Visit our web store for new, used, and reproduction gun parts: https://gungaragestore.com/
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,497
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ALFONSE
    Nice reading from all, but no one has answered Dakotart99.

    Probably should go to a different forum for the discussion and leave Dakotart99 alone.

    That being said, can anyone quote the actual ATF regulation for this.
    I've always transferred the cover as the receiver.
    My ATF inspector has no problem with that.
    Everyone has an opinion, but what is the real deal...
    Al


    From the link I posted...

    "The Gun Control Act (GCA) at 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) and its implementing regulation, 27 CFR 478.11, define the term firearm,in part, to mean: any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive,_ and includes the frame or receiver of any such weapon. The term firearm frame or receiver_ is defined by section 478.11 as [t]hat part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward position to receive the barrel._ Under 18 U.S.C. 923(i) and 27 CFR 478.92, licensed manufacturers and licensed importers must identify, by means of a serial number engraved or cast on the receiver or frame of the weapon, in such manner as the Attorney General shall by regulations prescribe, each firearm imported or manufactured "".
  • ALFONSEALFONSE Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks-guess, I'll stick with the cover...
    Al
    Visit our web store for new, used, and reproduction gun parts: https://gungaragestore.com/
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    ALFONSE but with babun ATF reg quote a nylon without the cover would still clearly constitute a firearm and require a FFL for transfer.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,497
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    ALFONSE but with babun ATF reg quote a nylon without the cover would still clearly constitute a firearm and require a FFL for transfer.


    There in lays the dilemma. If you have nylon gun with the serial number on the cover, a simple swap will make it "another" gun.
    Because many never had a serial #, and others had it on the barrel,
    there is no 100% way of tracking it.
    The only saving grace is the Batf is not overly concerned about old .22 rifles.

    So I maintain, don't poke laying dogs. Treat a nylon gun like it stands in front of you--- If it has a number enter it, if no number,
    N/A it.

    Some thing to think about from my past..... I was 16 years old (1970) and got a Nylon 66 as a basket case in pieces. Now this was just after the 1968 laws, I sent a order to Remington for a new cover.
    Got a letter back from them asking the serial number. I sent the number from the end of the box it came in, I had no cover and charging handle.

    Remington sent me a cover {with a different # on it} and a handle.
    Don't know if they would do that today????
  • ALFONSEALFONSE Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "That part of a firearm which provides the housing..."
    I'm saying that the "Cover" is the housing.
    Good luck with the stock.
    Another ruling that is clear mud.
    Visit our web store for new, used, and reproduction gun parts: https://gungaragestore.com/
Sign In or Register to comment.