In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WTB: Original Whitney Wolverine 22 pistol

buickman68buickman68 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
WTB:
Original Whitney Wolverine 22 pistol .
There are none on the Auction site and I am
looking for one in the best possible shape.
Have C&R and cash.
Thank You![:D]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    What price range are you interested in paying for a 99% condition one with two magazines and original owners manual [?]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    oldbushmasteroldbushmaster Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a cool looking gun.
    Not to familiar with Whitney guns.
    Does Whitney Mfg. have anything to do with Eli Whitney?
    I believe he manufactured guns (obviously not this one) before he invented the cotton gin.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldbushmaster
    That's a cool looking gun.
    Not to familiar with Whitney guns.
    Does Whitney Mfg. have anything to do with Eli Whitney?
    I believe he manufactured guns (obviously not this one) before he invented the cotton gin.

It was 1956... everything was space age looking back then, like furniture, cars {Fins!!!}, even drive in movie theaters and fast food places. and the year I was born!![:D]

""The Wolverine was engineered by Robert Hillberg, who learned about aluminum casting during WWII while working with aircraft guns and later became research engineer for High Standard Manufacturing Company. Only 13,371 of these .22 semi automatic pistols were made in its short period of production between 1956 and 1958. There were approximately 500 nickel plated according to company records, the rest finished in varying shades of anodized blue, The plastic grips came in either a black, dark brown or white, the white grips are found mostly on the nickel plated models. The frame being investment cast by Alcoa was a new idea for the gun industry at the time, now it is widely used by almost every major gun manufacturer today.

Its name Wolverine was named after Mr. Hillberg's favorite football team, the University of Michigan Wolverines. The Whitney name was used because the factory was located near the old Eli Whitney factory site. A victim of extremely poor marketing in the beginning, financial problems and then being under priced by $2.00 by both Ruger and Colt with their new semi-automatics .22, the company was doomed.

The original retail price was $39.95 blue and $44.95 nickel plated.""
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perryshooter,
    I am interested in acquiring one for $800 / up .
    Please send pictures. jeffhamre@gmail.com
    I pm'd ya as well.
    Thanks![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sent you 12 pictures did you get them [?]

The item # babun posted has been damaged when owner pulled trigger and hammer fell on a frame that had the barrel or bolt removed . I don't know if the gun can be fired but it does need repair or maybe it cant be repaired very small piece of aluminum that is cast and then ANODISED "SP"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have the pistol and two magazines ready to sell Please advise
    Karl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Message sent perry shooter.
    Thank you for you reply[:D]