In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help on purchasing

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited December 2005 in The Fishing Hole!
I know squat about paintballing gear, but I'm looking to pick up a few for my kids. I've got a teen who wants to play around in the woods with his buddies and two younger girls who'd probably be goofing around with them together, meaning I'm probably looking for two different grades of equipment here.

What do I look for and what do I avoid out of the one's commonly seen at Wally World? Any of their brands better than the other? Are any of the package deals they offer a decent buy?

I don't really know enough to ask the right questions, so any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.alamopaintball.net/

you can try them, i know them personally and they will give you a deal and also recommend packages that will suit your wants/needs/budget.

you can also post here: www.farmlandpaintballclub.com

(its the same 'people')...

best of luck
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend anything made by Tippmann. I have the 98 Custom but the A5 is their top model right now. Tippmann's are almost indistructable and that's why most places use them for rentals. Plus, the parts are readily available and easy to fix if you ever do have a problem. Tippmann's are generally considered "entry level" markers and would be a good place to start. One other plus to the Tippmann's is that they are highly upgradeable. Once he starts to play, you find him wanting to buy different barrels, hoppers, and probably a responsive trigger. Don't let this come as a surprise. Stock guns are good, but factory barrels are always one of the first things to get swapped out. The factories just don't spend much time finishing out the barrels and all companies are like this. It's a great sport and he should have a great time! Let us know if you have any other questions.

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • Options
    Daniel HomerDaniel Homer Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Choice Jeff [8D]

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

"Move and the bunny gets it"
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I ended up getting a Tippmann 98 for the boy and a found a good buy on a couple of VL's for the girls, all package deals.

Besides price, is there really any difference in all the different brands of balls I'm seeing? I'm referring to just running and gunning in the nearby woods, no serious competition.

Would it be impractical for me to keep a larger cylinder of C02 around to fill those on the guns from? I realize I'd need the valve also, but I'm wondering what the cost would be to get my hands on a refillable bottle the size of scuba tank?

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As for they type of paintballs to shoot, I found that each gun and barrel will work best with a certain type. Try a few different ones until you find one that works good for you. The short version is that each brand will be a few thousandths of an inch different and that can mean a lot in a barrel. One thing to avoid is buying paint from a large store where it could be sitting on a shelf or warehouse for months at a time. This will cause flatspots and egg shape paint that can cause feeding problems and breakage in the barrel. That's why I will almost always buy my paint from a local proshop. As for a fill station, places sell the valves and you can get the tank but I keep three small tanks and fill each before I play. A 20 ounce tank should get around 1000-1200 rounds depending on your set-up. (That number is off the top of my head but should be pretty close.)

One other note is to stress safety at all times and keeping the mask on ALWAYS while in the playing area.

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!