In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wanna get started

divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I have been toying with idea
of getting into paintball. sounds like fun but have some questions if
anyone can help me out.
1. What would be a good starting paintgun to get?
2. If I get one, do I have to keep buying those cylinders or get
Them refilled somewhere, or can I use my compressor to refill
them?
3. Do they come in different calibers?
4. What is the best company to start with? I don't want a cheapo
that will break easily.
Any info would be appreciated.
My Grandson is getting into it and I think it would be fun since I
have the place to do it on when he comes to visit.

Comments

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Hello Divecop, and welcome to the board!

1) As a starter, you need to decide how much your willing to pay. Personally i'm a big fan of the automag series of paintball guns. For shere simplicity, you can always go with a tippman 98.

2) Tanks are a one time expense. You can go with either Co2 or air. I prefer air. Air has a higher initial investment, but lasts longer, and will work in all guns. Whereas Co2 while cheaper, will not work in all guns. All tanks are refillabel at a fill station (try your local field or sporting goods store)

3) the accepted standard for paintball makers is .68 caliber

4) Tippman is a great company. Very durable, versatile, and not to horribly expensive. HOnestly for a first gun, I'd recomend a tippman 98. It's a good gun for the money, and generally "Idiot proof." Nice and simple to use, clean and take care of.

Hope this was helpful.
  • divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. And thanks for what you do.
    BTW that don't look like no paintball gun you're holding.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for asking. It's been a week or so since I've been on here but I pretty much agree with Pat on everything except for the air. Compressed air is better without a doubt but costs way too much for a recreational player in my opinion. A CO2 tank will cost you about $20-30 depending on size where a compressed air tank will cost $150 up. Plus I know that in my area almost no one fills air where all of the stores and fields fill CO2. As for guns/markers if you're PC, I second the Tippmann 98. Stock it should run you about $125 or so on line. It's a great gun that has been proven bullet proof over the years. It's HIGHLY upgradeable with tons of options out there. I know that my local shop sell complete packages with everything set up and ready to play for the 98 and it goes for about $190. He also throws in a bag of paint and a CO2 fill for starters also. Good luck and check out the safety sticky too. Have fun playing![:D]