In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SaltWater FisherPeople...A ??? For You...

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...Love to saltwater fish, and have done a fair amount. While not in a boat, and wade fishing the "troughs", there is that nasty little catfish, that will wear you out if you get finned, but can't remember the name.

Light pretty blue, biggest ive seen/caught was only maybe 1/2 lb. Pesky too if bottom fishing with shrimp, their everywhere and always seem hungry. They are actually a little dangerous, the bacteria or whatever is on their fins? Like, you can get a hospital trip from getting finned and not taking care of it, can you not? Or just the locals trying scare folks? Always heard they were really bad, and like I said, I know my way around saltwater pretty good, any of you old saltys know what I'm talking about?

...Ya'll ever catch a "gaff-top" catfish? When I was a teenager, a buddy and I were dn at Corpus fishing, pretty new to saltwater then.
...And we started catching a slew of these slimey, looked like they had been dunked in a barrel of snot, I mean n-a-s-t-y.
...These fish were all around 2ft long or longer.

...We caught the heck out of 'em, and did not really want to, as I said, nasty. After we had thrown God knows how many back, I guess one of the locals saw us throw one of these nasty looking suckers back in. Well he come over and ask US if WE were crazy, why were we throwing these good eating fish back? Now we both thought HE was nuts, to even try and convince us that we should EAT these nasty things, hell, we did not even want to catch or touch 'em! After that I always heard they were a really good eating fish, but I just couldn't/can't get past that slime! Is it true these gaff-tops are real good eating? Just curious, thrown so many back...

4171.gif

texasd.gif