In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Propane

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Rumor has it Tippman is comign out with a gun that will run off of propane. Somethign like 50,000 shots per fill? Anyonoe knwo anythign about this?

00023904.jpg
"DEATH BEFORE DISMOUNT!!"
00069663.jpg3rd%20ID.gif
"It's all about shot placement..."

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    propane?

Well, I guess if all else fails I can use it as a flame-thrower....

animated_usa_flag.gifanimated_rebel_flag.gif

Molon Labe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THAT WOULD BE SWEET! HAHAHAHA

00023904.jpg
    00069663.jpg3rd%20ID.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok guys, check this out. http://www.tippmann.com/product_guide/markerDetails.aspx?categoryid=4

Tippman pump that runs off of propane. Could thie be the new N2?

00023904.jpg
    00069663.jpg3rd%20ID.gif
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew I had seen it but I didn't remember until I looked at it again. It's a pump! That sux!! I'll wait and see how it takes off and see if they come out with something like a 98 that uses it. Sounds good though.

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    leave the propane for grilles and fish house heaters [xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have few concerns with this.

#1. I do not see how it has the same consistency as Nitrogen or compressed air when the other 2 mentioned are at far higher pressures than propane.

#2. I think CO2 and N2 have higher velocities if I recall correctly (guys help me out on this one).

#3. If you attempt to hook up the higher pressurized CO2 or N2 it probably will burst the tubing.

The threads are different to accept the propane tanks, but I wonder if you can 'adapt' an existing gun to take this new found form of fuel?

And Last but not least; the liberals will seek it being banned. How is this you ask?

First lets assume they will develop a 4 shot selective switch (I guess you paint ballers are aware some guns offer the options of single shot/ semi-auto, 3-shot burst, 6-shot burst, or full auto with some boasting 20 shots per second. The liberals will try and say this is a flame thrower, and all someone has to do is buy one of those full autos and put a lighter to it. With a boasted 50,000 shots on full auto you bet they will try and get this banned if this will go full auto. Or who knows maybe they are try now to even get the pump action revoked.[V]

Personally I would like to see if what I mentioned will actually work?[?]

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok new info from a buddy that got to mess with one. The marker has a spark plug of some sort int he handle that ignites a controlled amount of propane and uses the gas from that combustion to propell the ball. It's a pump because a high rate of fire would heat it up too much. This is also why it has a composite barrel-- a steel barrel would heat up and melt things.. Well that's all I have on it.

00023904.jpg
    00069663.jpg3rd%20ID.gif
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PATBUZZARD
    Ok new info from a buddy that got to mess with one. The marker has a spark plug of some sort int he handle that ignites a controlled amount of propane and uses the gas from that combustion to propell the ball. It's a pump because a high rate of fire would heat it up too much. This is also why it has a composite barrel-- a steel barrel would heat up and melt things.. Well that's all I have on it.

00023904.jpg
    00069663.jpg3rd%20ID.gif

So when's it cross the line between firearm and paintball gun? I thought it was pretty cool until I saw the combustion part.[V] I was gonna say you could mod the barrel so it would ignite the propane after it launced the ball.[}:)]

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

star_wars_kid.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    isn't a flamethrower a Destructive Device? I'm not sure

00023904.jpg
    00069663.jpg3rd%20ID.gif
  • Options
    silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe they are going in the right direction. I just think this isnt the answer. a highly combustible fuel being burned inside a painball gun. I see an accident and a lawsuit waiting to happen. I always thought tippman was on top of the innovation in paintball and this is definitly out there but I dont think it will be big and catch on but I do think it will lead to something big.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Renegade__AzzyRenegade__Azzy Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From warpig.com

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/paintguns/tippmann/C3/

"The C3 Marker is not deemed a firearm because propane is not considered an explosive under federal law and because its intended use is for sporting goods purposes only and therefore not a `destructive device.' Local laws do vary, however if a city or state allows the sale of a CO2 marker, than the C3 marker should be available for sale because it has the same functionality and performance characteristics of an existing paintball marker."

As for danger... 100 or so psi of propane is nothing when compared to 4500psi of compressed air... I would be more worried about the hpa tanks that you see getting banged around and thrown down by bratty kids when they loose than someone safley handling a propane tank.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For some time now, we have had industrial "nail guns" that use propane cartridges- and like this PB gun, have an igniter. These work much like a Hilti gun or Ramset that uses a blank powder cartridge, and are not considered firearms by the BATF. But start screwing with one of these to shoot something other than paintballs, and I'll bet you will get a visit from the Feds.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I was originally thinking, before you posted about the ignitor, that a propane tank held a more consistant pressure when the fuel supply got low.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    morsecodemorsecode Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If adaptable to airsoft my only concern would be that it was compatible with cigar smoking. If not, I wouldn't be interested.