In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fish attractant --

peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
How many of you use a liquid fish attractant sprayed on your bait, be it plastic or crankbait? Some people insist on rattlers, and swear they work. I kept seeing 'the Pros on T.V.' use it and decided to try it myself. On my next outing, I caught 14 largmouth bass from a dock, not from a boat, in just over an hour. Fish were from 1 pound to just over 4 pounds. Was this just a coincidence or does it work? Now, I'm afraid not to use it. Is this physcologically working, or does it really work?
What kind do you use, and how effective do you feel it is?

Thanks---Peabo

Comments

• Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    WD-40 works great.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by One shot
    WD-40 works great.

so they say...
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If any of you read In-fisherman magazine, last year I think it was they had a bunch of weird ways to actract fish, mostly catfish. There was some crazy ideas, some which included; Preperation H, marshmellows, WD-40, and some other nutty things.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Heard for, well since I started bass fishing, around 35 yrs. ago, about wd...never tried it. I BRELIEVE in rattlers, won't throw a plastic bait w/out one in it.

...About half the time I use, SOMETHING, don't even no the name of it, I think, StrikeKing makes it and it has a number for, or in it's name...big help huh?[:D]..on my plastic baits, only.

...If their hitting, they will hit about any presentation you choose to chunk at 'em, if their turned off, I think rattlers and attractants give you a little extra edge, to help provoke their preditor instinct...

4171.gif

texasd.gif
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 2 best one that I have found are Kickin Bass and Smelly Jelly. The Kickin Bass is stronger but the Smelly Jelly stays on the bait longer. Try them both in Garlic and Crawfish. I have tryed them all at one time or the other and these 2 seem to work best for me.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    I use bass attractant on rubber worms with neon green jigs. I caught a 17 inch bass with them
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    works well on egg sacks for steel head, tried it works[:D]

quote:Originally posted by One shot
    WD-40 works great.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tried garlic. Caught a 16 oz T Bone
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Shoff,
    quote:There was some crazy ideas, some which included; Preperation H, marshmellows, WD-40, and some other nutty things.

...I guess if you have Prep H, on hand, instead of wasting it, you could just sqaut over the water and dangle,...nevermind...[:D]

4171.gif

texasd.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...marshmellows

...I have trout fished CO. for trout, resorting to an ultra light setup and red salmon eggs. I can use my cheapo flyrod in stock ponds, lakes, but not in the flowing waters of the rivers. I can't see the fly, and as soon as the fly hits the water, and I mean hit, not a "delicate" presintation at all, the fly-line-leader, is wrapped all around me instantly...so,...the ultra light rig.

...I have been in Arkansas, Missouri, OK. trout fishing, and always heard/seen the locals using the liitle tiny marshmellows for bait, and catching trout. Used a few, not sqaut. Never saw/heard of mellows being used in CO., but I fish only the Conjeos River there, as a friends father in law has (might be sold, as he had it up for sale [:(]) a lodge on the river, and it's great fishing, cool 70 yr. old log cabins, and I know that part of the river. Menke Haven Lodge, west of Anntonita (spell ck).

...I guess maybe other areas of the US, mellows are used?
    ...I know I have seen on the river in CO., the "purists", flyrods only, tie their own flies, know what inects, the "rise" I think is what they call it, hence what fly to use...and KNOW how to fly fish.
    ...Not me, salmon eggs all the way, too old to figure how to be good at another specie (trout) fishing, and be a purist.

...anybody use the little marshmellows for bait, for any kind of fish, not a one time "fluke", but regulary??

texasd.gif

4171.gif
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    When I use fish attractant, I spray it on my hands, and rub it in. The attractant always transfers to the lure nicely whenever you touch it. A fish's smeller can detect even the smallest amount in the water, and you really don't need to overdo it.

Ben