In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New autocockers?

silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I have been out of the paintball game for about three years but Ive recently started playing again. I always liked autocockers but they were too expensive for me as I enjoy playing and not spending. But my old mongoose is failing and I need a change and I see new autocockers from wgp for around two hundred bucks. Whats the deal. Cockers just got cheaper and is a good marker for around two hundred bucks or did quality go down with the price?

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an autococker that cost me about $350. I hated it from day one. I ended up calling my local Autococker guru and told him the problems I was having. After he started rattling off the list of mods that he would do, it was going to be costing me upwards of $600 to $700 making me have close to a grand in this thing. Wasn't going to happen. I ended up trading it for a Tippmann and loved it. I would say that for most weekenders that don't play in tournaments, a Tippmann is the way to go.

(the problems I was having with the AC were slow rate of fire, chopping balls, and not fully moving the trigger between shots making me have to re-cock)

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • Options
    wolf13wolf13 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, the market dropped out the bottom on cockers, I collect the old high ends and they are going 150-300 for all but something liek a westwood.

the trilogy line is basicly an entry level cocker.

Pros:
    cheap
    limited timing needs
    can come pretty well ready to go

cons:
    limited upgrade path
    the price of a new one = price of used regular cocker

Before you decide to go that route you need to decide a few things. the first you already have it sounds like and that is not a lot of upgrading.

the trilogies is a middle of the road cocker, not the best mech cocker, but not the worst. its going to be that way always short of an e-kit.

do you want a hinge or a slider? if you liked the sliders in the old days, try a hinge before you jump in. its a lot differnt, and a lot of people jumped into hinges and discovered they didn't like them as well as the old slider. if you want a slider, the trilogy is out.

are you willing to buy used and use a third party? If so, then you have a tremedous amount of options for used cockers. send it through a 3rd party and have them time it and put it in working order. If you leave it alone, you will have little trouble (i have a couple of cockers going on a decade with just cleaning and oil without issues).
  • Options
    Renegade__AzzyRenegade__Azzy Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^^ wolfs pretty much hit it on the head.

And the only problem with cockers.. people wont stop screwing with them. Tehy shoot perfectly fine out of the box. No X bolt and Y that will make it shoot "flatter" or "straighter"... adn whoever that guy you took the cocker to was just trying to make money off of you. Heck, a whole new PPS frontblock only costs 170 new...

Buy a trillogy, learn the trigger (pull it all the way back, let it all the way go, its 2 stage).. and put down teh allen wrenches, it will work just fine [;)]
  • Options
    Cheetah223Cheetah223 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three autocockers, and have custom built a couple more for friends. They're amazingly simple markers, they just take a little bit to learn. As for the Tippman comment, they are rock solid markers that require a lot less maintenence than autocockers do. Tippmann says the 98Custom is the most upgradable marker on the planet, I have to disagree and say Autocockers are...Depending what you want it for, you may want a 'cocker, you may not. One of mine I've upgraded almost every part, not even all that I can, and it's worth over $1,400 with a mechanical trigger. You can get electronic trigger frames for them that eliminate the issue of not pulling far enough to get a clean shot, called a 'shortstroke'.

The problem with the elecronic frames are that they're expensive, and can be a pain to install and program if you don't know what you're doing. The manual included with most of them walks you through programming them pretty well, it's all done on the frames for the biggest ones (manufactured by Planet Eclipse)

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. One bonus about autocockers is that a lot of markers use Autococker threaded barrels, I can't prove it, but I'd venture far enough to say more markers use Autococker threads than any other.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome Cheetah! I hope that name doesn't mean "cheater"[:D] but I'll assume that you mean the animal! Glad to see another person here in the paintball area.
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    huhh huhh you said cocker