In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Big pond fish

blugillblugill Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
A friend of ours bought a house with an ornamental pond in the front yard.I was offered fishing rights. The first time my wife and I fished it last June we were catching blugill hybrids 1.5 pounds each.We caught 50 blugill and 26 bass in about 2 hours. Half the bass were over three pounds with a few over 5 pounds.I have fished Illinois ponds and lakes for over 50 years and have never seen anything like it.I am looking forward to spring so I can fish it again. Just to look at this little pound you wouldnt believe how many fish can be caught out of it.I will post some pictures when the season starts!

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I LOVE farm ponds, stock tanks! I have fished some awesome ones.
    These bodies of water can be very old, and fished very little, which may mean some great fishing, for awhile at least.

...If the tank is a couple of acres or less, and is "great" fishing, it can be fished out, crippled in it's ability to sustain a healthy fish population. I fish to help maintain fish qaulity on larger, healthy bodies of water. At the moment my favorite is a 25-30 ac. ranch lake, very healthy, large fish(black bass, crappie, channel cat, hybrid brim/perch), lots of fish.

...All bass 3 lbs. and under are taken out when caught. These particular bass are Floridas, so here w/moderate weather the fish will spawn twice a year. The panfish, crappie, perch/brim, are so prolific, I don't think you can hurt them, in a larger pond. A small bodie of water can be harmed to the point of almost "killing" the fishing, if everything you catch, you keep.

...I have my sights set on a 15-20 ac. pond that is in a pasture leased early last summer. When this was first leased, a friend and me went run/repair the fence, and did our "fish specie test". Bass,crappie,channel cat were caught in about 15 min. Topwaters, lizards and spinners (1/8 to 1/2 oz.). We found fish!
    ...Now to make the time to fish the major body of water, as we caught these "test" fish below the dam, in a 1/2 ac. "run off" area.

...This leased pasture has a big problem w/hogs, as does the ranch. The whole area in the past 2 years has seen an invaison of these darn things. Trapped quiete a few, but not enough, still tearing up the pasture...guess will have to mix a little shooting with our fishing. [:D]...love it. The hogs are abundant, as this lease is 750 ac., and the ranch is close to 1,500 ac. To have enough hogs to be a problem to this much acrerage,...means a LOT of hogs.

...hmmm, good fishing, 300+lb. hogs, = GREAT TIME!

texasd.gif

4171.gif
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Farm ponds can be some of your very best fishing. Most ponds get very little presure. I do enjoy fishing a farm pond when I det a chance.[:D]
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Heres one of the neighbors kid down the road, he adopted me when he saw my bass boat. He like's to come up and raid my big pond in the woods, but he puts them back when they get this big, he don't like eating them that big either.
    k37goo.jpg
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I've got a pond of about 5 acres in front of my mom's house. Been fishing there since I was 4, we moved there when I was 7. Biggest fish was 13lbs 14oz bass, and I catch one or two a year between 8 and 10lbs.