In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cabelas Inner Cast Sticking (reel OK)

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Feenix, A rod reel combo? The reel is sticking? What type of reel, spinning reel, bait casting, closed face? If so, try posting the topic "REEL QUESTION, Need Help" will probably get more attention...[;)][img][/img]Lure_3.gif

texasd.gif
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bloviator,

It is an open reel casting type. I know it is not the reel because I tried it on non-inner cast rod and it works. It seems like too much internal friction once the line is wet. Thanks.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...LINE: Some lines have a memory that when they spool off the reel, they "remember" their coiled shape. You mentioned spiderwire, no memory. As the coils in the line hit the eyes on the rod, the distance of your cast is lessend, and the speed of the cast is dimenished, as the line is "funneled" throught the eyes. This is where memory hurts you. A line with little or no memory does not have the coils, hence the speed and distance of your cast is not effected as much.

...ROD: The eyes of rods are made from several materials. The faster the eye material, the less friction on the line. Spiderwire and other braided lines are very abrasive. There are numerous eye materials, steel, titanium, ceramic, etc. The ceramic eye inserts are quick and tough, resists abrasive lines.

...If the rod in question, is a $125+ you may want to have the eyes replaced with better eyes. If the rod is not an expensive rod, Id just pull the reel off and buy a different rod. There is not a lot of components in a rod that can effect a reels performance as you described. The eyes, are about it. If you have tried different lines, and the rod still effects the performance of the reel, change the eyes or get another rod...[;)] Overspooling the reel, too much line maybe? Too much line will slow dn a reel, and put it in a bind too, maybe some of this will help.

Lure.gif

texasd.gif

...or, you might want to borrow my gun for really insurmoumtable problems...threverse-pistol-2-1024.jpg...[:D]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how long you have used vanish fluorcarbon, if your new to it, you won't keep it very long, the stuff is the worst flourcarbon line on the market.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bloviator,

Thanks for taking the time and your honest opinion ... except for the last advice [;)]!