In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Same Fish,..Bite Twice?....and how long

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...after you catch/loose the same fish, till it bites/eats again?

...Ive heard several arguements on this subject, and I don't believe fish "think" too much about it, they have to eat, instinct, not a "maybe I will, maybe I won't" decison.

...But! I don't remember who, J.Houston maybe, said something about this subject. This is not a direct quote, close. "If when you took a bite from a Big Mac, you got a mouth full of trebble hooks, and got yanked out the front door, how long till you bite another Big Mac"?
Makes sense as for as the "type" of bait. If bass are presented a certain "hot" color, same bait, like a silver with blue back trap, over, and over, I can see it, "learned reaction",...maybe.

...What do you think??

texasd.gif

4171.gif

Comments

• Options
    ndeltagunsndeltaguns Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have caught several Redfish with someone elses hook still in its mouth.
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There been alot of research on this subject and I think the jury is still out on the verdict. I do not think that a bass has the brain power to have a "learned reaction" for a certian type of bait. Most fish bite a lure out of reaction and not through a thought process as we would think about eating.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    From observations and experiences I've had over the past 45 + years fishing I believe it depends on the type of fish. Some species of fish are more shy than others. Those will not grab the same lure or bait right off quick. I've had pickrel, perch, salmon and some trash fish that have been hooked and reeled 1/2 way or more to the boat have the hook come out and turn right around and nail it again. [:p] While brook trout will not bite again for a day or so.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I lost a nice size bass on a brushpile once with a green/blue worm. I was tearing the crap out of him trying to get him off, and broke the line.

About 5 minutes later I caught a 3 pounder, and guess what was deep in his throat? A hook, and a green/blue worm.

Ben
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had similar situation as fishermanben this year. I was fishing in the Rock River near Oregon, Illinois. It was one of those nights where the Smallies were very active chasing minnows in the shallows.

I was fishing with an ultralite, 4lb test and using very small white
    inline spinners. I hooked into a decent smallie that wrapped me around a rock and broke the line. Three casts later, I landed a
    16" smallie with my spinner still hooked in it's mouth.
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    I ahve heard somewere that a bass brain is the size of a pee and they will bite after about 3 min. dont remember were i heard it at [?]
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishing with roe for steelhead I've had them break my line only to have it return to the same general spot, hook it again and reel it in with the first hook and roe ball still in it's mouth. Unless you really tire them out and stress them I think they are pretty much always up for a meal.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I caught about a 3 1/2 or 4 lb. smallie that my son had lost just minutes before. We were using slip bobbers with leeches in an 18 foot hole off the edge of a house sized rock sticking up in the middle of a lake. We were fishing on the bottom for Walleye, but there were several bass in the area and we caught a few. My son lost one, but we got the hook back when I caught him.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.