In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Telescoping rods

badwrenchbadwrench Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I've generally had bad luck with cheaper ones, but I saw a nice one in the latest Cabela's catalog (Cabela's house brand rod). Anyone own a Cabela's telescoping rod?

The one I'm looking at is a telescoping surf rod, available in 3 lengths, 10, 12, and 14 foot. I'm looking at the 14 footer (heavier action for heavier line) to replace a Master (cheapo) 12-footer that casts like a telephone pole. Got a great reel (Okuma AZ90) that would work great with that long a rod.

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Being that bass fishing is 99% of my fishing, 5 1/2 to 6 1/2'
    one piece is all I use. I have a 8' Shimano and Garcia rod,Shimano is 2 pc.,Garcia a one pc. Both 8' footers are for surf fishing.
    I can sure see the need of a 2 piece rod when the rod is 12-14'!

...All my bass rods are graphite with the rod blank going all the way thru the handle, for the utmost in sensitivity.

A 2 pc. rod is not as sensitive as a one piece rod. A one piece rod with a good "sensitive" line is hard to beat, and great for "transmitting" any "touch" by a fish thru the rod where you can feel it. The joint of a 2 pc. rod, is a "dead" spot in the transmission of any vibrations or pick ups, hard to "feel: rocks,stumps, on the bottom too. This sensitivity I guess is not as important fishing "blue water", where the fish hit your bait full tilt!

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badwrench
    Got a great reel (Okuma AZ90) that would work great with that long a rod.

Okuma reels are rather inexpensive. Are they mechanically sound?
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an Okuma that is has been very nice. They aren't shimano but they don't claim to be. My Okuma is used for steelhead and has been great, the drag is very smooth for a spinning reel.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I need a good telescoping rod for the 4 wheeler. They either go out and I cant get it back in. Or it gets stuck in!