In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What "LINE" Do You Like The Best??

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited January 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...for plastic baits, and topwaters in HEAVY cover, I'm still stuck
on spiderwire, never let me down yet, but, there is a LOT of braided type lines out now, and different types of "polymar" lines.

...Anybody used spiderwire a LOT, and found something comparable,strength, no memory, and un freakin breakable? Have lost a lot of baits that I couldn't get free, and had to cut the spiderwire...cause aint no breakin it. Pulled up some HUGE limbs with my bait stuck in em though!

Just wondering what is out there line wise now, tend to stick w/things that work for me, and spiderwire always has. Any other line suggestions?

...4171.gif

...texasd.gif

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fireline! works great on casting reels and spinning reels. Also like the BPS Excel in 12pnd, Great line for the money.
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Power Pro tough fishing and mono for crappie and bluegil fishing.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pline Flourocarbon is what is on all my poles except my casting polls, at which point I have a Pline leader.

I like Pline flourocarbon better then other brands, some other brands just suck. Its hard to cut, hard to break, hard to stretch, but yet it cast smooth as silk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...FireLine, or Power Pro, Stren make either? Like I said, been using Spiderwire (since it came out) and one of the Berkley lines, a l-o-n-g time, Stren was crap, but that was a long time ago. Stren changed? Who makes those lines? thanks...texasd.gif

4171.gif
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    ...FireLine, or Power Pro, Stren make either? Like I said, been using Spiderwire (since it came out) and one of the Berkley lines, a l-o-n-g time, Stren was crap, but that was a long time ago. Stren changed? Who makes those lines? thanks..

berkley

I don't like stren line at all either, it twist to easy and just doesn't do well for me.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    For spinning rods, I've absolutely fallen in love with Tectan Premium, which is sold out of Cabelas.

It is a small diameter mono, that's memory is neglegable. It has very little strech, and is damn near abrasion PROOF.

I like it, especially on lights, and ultra lights.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Might have to "update" my reels that I use non-braided line on, springs a'commin!...[;)]

texasd.gif
    4171.gif
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spiderline monofilament is my pick. Tough, thin, but I like to be able to break off a hang up if I need to. Spider WIRE is my favorite leader, though. Never got into the "fusion" type lines.
  • Options
    beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use trilene for bass and for my smaller catfish rods. I use Ande on my bigger rods that I want to cast further with and catch larger fish. I only use fifteen pound, but I can barely break this stuff if I get hung up. Try this stuff if you want a longer cast. It comes in pink, clear and a weird green that looks real cool, called envious green or something.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    Fireline. Does anyone know if ironsilk is any good?
  • Options
    beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone use Stren super braid? Just bought some at Wal-Mart on close-out, cheap, thought I'd give it a try.
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL I TRY TO STAY WITH BERKLEY PRODUCTS. THESE PEOPLE ARE REALLY FRIENDLY AND WILL ANSWER ALL MY QUESTIONS. HAVE MET SEVERAL BERKLEY FOLKS AND THEY ARE GREAT. HAVE HAD BAD RESULEY WITH SHAKESPEAR LINES AND HAD A BAD BATCH OF ANDE. SPIDER WIRE ON SOME APPLICATIONS AND FIRE LINE ON SOME. USED STREN FOR MANY YEARS BUT GOT AWAY FROM THEM.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I like spiderwire or fireline, but then I usually use ultralight tackle so I use the 1-2lb test diameter stuff (8lbs break IIRC)