In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PICS....Of Balsa Baits I make....

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited February 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...All these are topwater. All carved from balsa wood, way better action than plastic. I put rattlers in some, for more "noise", before I start to to paint them. SEVERAL coats of primers, and finish paints. Gamagatsu (sp ck) hooks, stainless eyes and hangers. Any with trailer hair, is from squirrels I shot, not the fake crap.

...Have not made any that failed to produce fish, some better than others.

...With the type of primers/paints I use, the balsa holds up better than most of the store bought plastic baits, where the "decal" scales/color, starts to come off after several fish.

Now that I have the camera thing figured out, I'll post some of the fish they produce, when weather, and time allow me to go again...[:p]
...The pics don't do them justice, several have a super fine glitter dust under the fiish coat, kind of a "pearl" effect.

The carving of them is a pain, several hours just to shape. My cost is about $4 bucks a piece,(no labor) but heh, they work, and decent balsa baits are getting hard to find, and run about $10 bucks...and it's a REAL hoot to catch fish on baits you hand made!.[:D]
mylures005.jpg

mylures004.jpg

mylures002.jpg

mylures001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY BLOVIATOR I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THOSE WHICH IS YOUR BEST PRODUCING COLOR? LOOKS LIKE THAT NEW CAMERA IS WORKING FINE ALSO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rev Jim, chartreuse, light to dark green w/buck tail, GREENS!!.[:D]
    ...about anything w/ yellow/orange belly...HATE BLUE!!...for baits...[:D]
    Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4 bucks a piece to make and don't include labor...
    sell them for 2 bucks a piece.... and even cow doc would agree it beats the hell out of farming. [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Bloviator,
    That is just to darn cool, and the paint job's are awesome, with great photo's of the work.
    Maybe I should start to paint some of my gunstocks like that [:D]

Do you use a airbrush on them ????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mrbruce, air brush, small artist brushes, canned spray paint.
    Make templates for scales. and designs from a thin clear "one side sticky" plastic, forget the name off hand. Certain types of material from a fabric store, work for different designs too. Due to the number of coats of paint/clear finish, drying times, painting takes awhile. Shaping still takes the longest. I only sell to friends, and their friends, due to the time in shaping. I am thinking of a lathe, don't think you could put tools to balsa on the lathe, but emory clothe or sandpaper should work well.

...Ive really had a lot of people wanting them, just can't produce them fast enough by hand shaping, hence the thought of a lathe.
    ...Even with the lathe to speed things up, would still have $4 bucks in materials, and several hours in each one. The $8-10 bucks I get for 'em, don't think I would get rich.[:D] just too time consumming.

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HEY BLOVIATOR I JUST RECIEVED MY TWO FANTASTIC HAND MADE LURES FROM YOU AND I AM VERY IMPRESSED TO SAY THE LEAST. IF THEY FISH AS WELL AS THEY LOOK LOOK OUT BASS. REALLY THESE ARE BETTER THAN THE FACTORY STUFF I BUY AT BASS PRO. I AM THINKING ABOUT PUTTING IN A ORDER FOR A COUPLE MORE. I WILL GET WITH YOU ON COLOR COMBOS. HEY THE REST OF YOU FISHERMAN BETTER GET IN ON THESE BEAUTIES. QUALITY ALL THE WAY.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Well, I am flattered Jim, and your very welcome. Work 'em right, and they will produce for you. I do use only the best of hooks, hook hangers,rings and eye screws and screws even! I use epoxy glue in every screw hole, no super glue, they are made good, if I say so myself! I'm working on getting a small wood lathe, like the ones people use to make pens with, could turn out the bodies way faster then. Glad you like 'em, now get out and use them...[:p][:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bloviator,
    I sure would like to get in on this one, and if you'll be kind enough to make me a couple I will get a lot of use out of them, or I'll just appreciate looking at them.
    I like the spotted one on the top, but any of them would be appreciated, being made by you....
    Drop me a email with your address and I'll send some cash, and wait my turn.

Thanks,
    Bruce
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HEY MRBRUCE YOU SURE WONT BE DISAPPOINTED IN YOUR LURES. THAT OLE TEXAS BOY BLOVIATOR SURE PUTS OUT A NICE LURE. I NEVER MET HIM BUT HE SEEMS LIKE A PRINCE TO ME. HECK IF YOU DONT LIKE THE LURES YOU BUY I WILL BUY THEM FROM YOU. WHAT A DEAL. NOW IF THEY JUST CATCH FISH. HE HE HE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MOMMASBOY
    HEY MRBRUCE YOU SURE WONT BE DISAPPOINTED IN YOUR LURES. THAT OLE TEXAS BOY BLOVIATOR SURE PUTS OUT A NICE LURE. I NEVER MET HIM BUT HE SEEMS LIKE A PRINCE TO ME. HECK IF YOU DONT LIKE THE LURES YOU BUY I WILL BUY THEM FROM YOU. WHAT A DEAL. NOW IF THEY JUST CATCH FISH. HE HE HE

Well thak you for the kind offer, but when I get my grubby little hands on them they will not get out of my sight, not now, not ever...[:D]