In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help with "TIKKA" brand reel...need info

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited February 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...In 30 some odd years of bass fishing, I have had several different brands of reels. My first was a black Ambassaduer 5000c, best bass reel you could get back in the day, still have one.
Shimano came along, have had/have their best up to $300 bucks.
Few years ago found a reel I never heard of,Pinnacle, 4bb's, around $50(?), as smooth or smoother than ANY of my high dollar Shimano's, and just as tough, I was hooked.

...Then I saw a new reel that Tikka was about to come out with, Sculptor model, 12bb's PLUS one roller! 6.2 retrieve, blah, blah. The reel is out now, no one around here carries them. Cheapist I found it on the net is $120 on sale, reg, $145....CHEAP if the qaulity is there, and seems to be. Cannot even imagine how smooth 12bb's would be!

Pinnacle has a super nice reel Matrixx MPT10, 10bearings, not sure if it's 9bb's+one roller. Reel is on ebay and will probably go for around $120, and from experience, I know Pinnacle holds up to big fish, abuse, and is one othe smoothest longest casting reels I have ever had in my hand.

Tikka I found out is big in the salt water reel biz, and have several freshwater reel models, including the Sculptor.

I have been totally fasinated/obsessed with the concept of a baitcasting reel with 12bb's since I first heard of the Sculptor.
Does ANYONE know the qaulity of ANY Tikka reels, salt or preferably fresh water? It's hard to find any first hand info on them, let alone hold one. I posted a thread similar to this on THREE different fishing forums, and all I got was "you show off, with your fancy reels", and "and whats wrong with Zebco" remarks, jerks. The weight difference is maybe one ounce between the Pinnacle and Tikka mentiond, not enough to matter to me.

I just hate to buy a reel that looks, sounds great (Tikka) without having any "real" info on durability, qaulity. The Pinnacle has more than proven itself to me. I need to know if any of you know ANYTHING good or bad about any Tikka reel. Just sent of a Ambassaduer 3600c to be refurbished, drag crapped out for the third time, it's a POS. Will never buy another new Ambassaduer. I will however send off my old Amb. 5000c to be reworked, has a "howl" to it when cast, though Ive cleaned and oiled it. The 5000c I'm sure will be far better than the much newer 3600c, when refubished.
HELP!! With TIKKA INFO!!! thanks....[;)]

heres the Tikka:
http://www.castawaylakes.com/Sculptor.html

Picture003.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    HELP!!! SOMEBODY has to know something about the qaulity of Tikka reels...you old salties?....
    [:p]

mylures002.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    ...In 30 some odd years of bass fishing, I have had several different brands of reels. My first was a black Ambassaduer 5000c, best bass reel you could get back in the day, still have one.
    Shimano came along, have had/have their best up to $300 bucks.
    Few years ago found a reel I never heard of,Pinnacle, 4bb's, around $50(?), as smooth or smoother than ANY of my high dollar Shimano's, and just as tough, I was hooked.

...Then I saw a new reel that Tikka was about to come out with, Sculptor model, 12bb's PLUS one roller! 6.2 retrieve, blah, blah. The reel is out now, no one around here carries them. Cheapist I found it on the net is $120 on sale, reg, $145....CHEAP if the qaulity is there, and seems to be. Cannot even imagine how smooth 12bb's would be!

Pinnacle has a super nice reel Matrixx MPT10, 10bearings, not sure if it's 9bb's+one roller. Reel is on ebay and will probably go for around $120, and from experience, I know Pinnacle holds up to big fish, abuse, and is one othe smoothest longest casting reels I have ever had in my hand.

Tikka I found out is big in the salt water reel biz, and have several freshwater reel models, including the Sculptor.

I have been totally fasinated/obsessed with the concept of a baitcasting reel with 12bb's since I first heard of the Sculptor.
    Does ANYONE know the qaulity of ANY Tikka reels, salt or preferably fresh water? It's hard to find any first hand info on them, let alone hold one. I posted a thread similar to this on THREE different fishing forums, and all I got was "you show off, with your fancy reels", and "and whats wrong with Zebco" remarks, jerks. The weight difference is maybe one ounce between the Pinnacle and Tikka mentiond, not enough to matter to me.

I just hate to buy a reel that looks, sounds great (Tikka) without having any "real" info on durability, qaulity. The Pinnacle has more than proven itself to me. I need to know if any of you know ANYTHING good or bad about any Tikka reel. Just sent of a Ambassaduer 3600c to be refurbished, drag crapped out for the third time, it's a POS. Will never buy another new Ambassaduer. I will however send off my old Amb. 5000c to be reworked, has a "howl" to it when cast, though Ive cleaned and oiled it. The 5000c I'm sure will be far better than the much newer 3600c, when refubished.
    HELP!! With TIKKA INFO!!! thanks....[;)]

heres the Tikka:
    http://www.castawaylakes.com/Sculptor.html

Picture003.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif

It might help if uou got the name right,it's "Tica"[:D] [:D]
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...well, I ordered the Tica Sculptor today, and I feel like I am 12 years old heading of to go to the opening night of the rodeo!!
    Pshyced, to put it mildly! Man, 12 ball bearings and one roller bearing, YOOWWWIEEE! I know of NO other freshwater baitcasting reel that has more than 9 ball bearings. 10 bearing reels will have 9 ball bearings, and one roller bearing....and this puppy has 12! ahh, ...I can feel the smmothness already...[:p]

...this has got to be the smoothest, farthest chunking reel in the world....and, great part is, I got it at a price so l-o-w that if it is not what I expect....I can sell it on ebay for MORE than it cost me!...The few Sculptors ebay has are selling for $120 and up, and the shipping, since their comming from weird over seas places (Slystar is the parent Co.) is from $15-25 bucks. And, it's NIB w/papers,tool,oil, etc. ZZOOWWWIIIEEE!![:D][:D]

Southwestern parts called about my ambassaduer 36000c today with the estimate, not too bad, $38 bucks shipped back to me. No wonder after I fixed it 4 times, (or thought i had it fixed) it kept crapping out after 3-4 casts,...seems it needed 5 new parts. So, with the parts, and total take down cleaning they do, should be like new again.

...If it breaks down again, not even going to try and sell it, will just do a giveaway and let someone else have their luck at it. All five parts were related to the drag problem I kept having with it, so should be just fine.....'cmon tica....[:D]

...if it will get here early enough next week, I'll give that sucker
    a workout...[8D] Damn,...just realized I'll have to buy another All Star rod for it, oh well, I'll have one before it gets here.

ani-texas-flag.gif