In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Real Salt Water Reels

mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
There is a store in Apalachacola that sells used, once top of the line, reels that I am sure the locals pulled up in their nets. Is a reel like this any good?

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    mo,ask them how they refurb them. There is a place over in Dallas that reworks reels, and quite a few other things, Ive used them several times thru the years. They have a 3600c ambassaduer of mine with 'em now, the drag crapped out for the 4th time.
    The distance and the traffic, makes me ship it to 'em, easier and cheaper than driving.

....They do a factory rebuild on your reel, plus any needed parts. If the place your talking about does a complete tear down like this, the reels should be fine. For mine, $28 for tear down,clean,oil,grease, and replace "minor" parts". Shipping back to me will be around $4 bucks, and if major part needed(dont think it will be) thats extra. A qaulity reel will have stainless bb's, roller bearings, they take quite awhile for salt water to rust. If their rusted/harmed, you can see it .Other parts in the reel are steel, and should be easy/cheap enough to replace.

....Whats their warranty/return policy? If good, take it home, break it down and check for rust, if none seen, should be finr. Use a good reel oil/grease and put her back together.

The down side is if they dredged them up, they may look great, but be a POS. I,, and friends have been known to be having trouble with a reel that has been repaired several times, and when the same problem reappears AGAIN, pull it off the rod and throw a $100+ reel into the lake...ends the &%$## aggravation...not in anger, just don't/didn't have the time during a tourney to keep bleening with it...[:D]

mylures001.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Penn open face reel that was given to me caked with salt.I washed and oiled it and it has worked like new for years.