In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ambassaduer, back from the shop...

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited February 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...Southwestern Parts has had it for 4 weeks. They replaced 4 parts, dinky parts at that. I have my doubts if this POS will be fixed.
Ambassaduer USED to be one of the best out there, for baitcasters, one of the first quality bait casters too. Remember the original 5000c?

Ive been busy (staying warm mostly) but today is the first day it's susposed to be above freezing since Fri., still ice on the roads, so it will be awhile till I try it out. EVERY Ambassaduer I have owned, has been off to the shop, at one time or another...for the longest, I didn't think anything about it. DUH! Shimano's, NEVER went to the shop, maybe a lesson to be learned here?...I think so.

4-5(?) years ago, I bought a Pinnacle, had never heard of them.
4 ball bearing Vision, smoother than ANY Ambassaduer I have ever thrown, rugged...and NO shop time. At around $60 bucks new, for the Pinnacle, vs. $140(?) for the Ambassaduer...no contest

EVERYBODY I know that has used Ambassaduers for years, have always had to put theirs in the shop sooner or later, for something.
...and it's been the "expected, acceptable" thing to do, BULL POOP! I now have swore off of em, better reels out there, for the same or less money. If you don't want to spend $200-300 on a Shimano, there are as good or BETTER reels out there...you just have to check em out.

It's taken me a LONG time to figure this "simple" thing out. Forget the "name", the "legacy"...things change. Now IF this Amassaduer still has a drag problem, I have probably around $170 in it, no more...it will be used as a paper weight I guess.

Pinnacle reels, the older 8bb, or the new 10bb, will be just as smooth, chunk as far, take abuse, as well or BETTER than ANY reel on the market...for ANY price, the name just isn't as recognizable as Ambassaduer, or Shimano. I DON"T care anymore to "accept" that a reel just "needs" to go to the shop anymore, bullpoop!
...I feel better now...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I will tell you I don't go out and buy $200.00 reels of any kind. I don't go with the cheapest either. I usully check them for smoothness and how well they are built. I hate plastic and stay away from it as much as possible. I have a couple of cheap spincasts that I have fish the crap out of and they will soon be going to work for me again after six years of hard fishing. 5 years last spring my wife broke her arm so I was tied down at home most of the summer.
    I'll be glad when this wisconsin weather warms up.
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOW BLOVIATOR SIMMER DOWN ITS JUST CABIN FEVER. SNOW,ICE,COLD NOW AINT THAT SOMETHING. MOST OF MY BEST REELS ARE AMBASSADUERS. LIKE I WAS SAYING SOMEWHERE ON THE FISHING HOLE THE 4600 IS MY FAVORITE. I HAVE SOME THAT I HAVE BEEN USING FOR 25 YEARS AND NEVER HAVE THEM TO FAIL OR GO TO SHOP. EVERY YEAR I TEAR THEM DOWN AND CLEAN AND OIL THEM. THE WORST REEL I HAVE EVER HAD WAS A SHIMANO. WHEN THEY CAME OUT WITH A ITHINK A TITANIUM IN THE MIDDLE 80 I BOUGHT ONE I THINK I GAVE 80 FOR IT AT WALLY WORLD. NEVER WAS WORTH A SHEET. I WOULD NOT EVEN USE IT AS A PAPER WEIGHT. HECK WHO KNOWS WHAT TO BUY.