In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Yo-Yo's...legal in YOUR STATE?

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited March 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...LEGAL IN YOUR STATE?

...TP&W outlawed yo-yo's on public waters several years ago. Theory is, and I support it BTW...is that folks would set out dozens, and forget, or just not waste the time to retrieve them; as they were/are about a buck apiece. The yo-yo would catch a fish, and with no one around, just die...of course in the food chain other critters got an easy meal, but thats not the point.

Yo-yo's are still legal here on private waters, and before I start bass fishing, always set out a few to catch me some channel cat at the ranch lake...WHILE i'M BUSY DOING SOME REAL FISHING [}:)] they do work...[:D]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    What is a yo-yo? I assume it is a one hook trot-line. We used to tie a line to a bush on the bank of a creek and come back later to retrieve cat fish.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well if you are talking about Yo-Yo's like Teddy K and Rosie O And Michal Moore then no they should not be allowed in or on any waters. Thats the worst kind of polution their is. [;)]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    peabo, a yo-yo is a round device, spring loaded...with about 6' of twine attatched...you attach fishing leader and appropriate weight. You tie off (string from top of yo-yo) to a branch overhanging the water, a pier, whatever. You attach bait to the hook at the leader...CAREFULLY unwind the line from the yo-yo into the water. There is a small "triiger" that catches a notch(s)...once the fish bites, trigger is tripped, and sets the hook, hangs the fish...and will pop a pound fish out of the water, most of the time...if set high enough from water. If not, and the fish does not get off, the spring is strong enough to wear the fish down. I'll post a pic of one, when I find mine...not exactly my primary fishing method...but great to set out...while your bass fishind...let them do all the work!...[:D]
    ....I know they will hold, and wear down at least 3lb channel cat, used to be 2 for a buck, think they are around 2 bucks a piece now...catch a lot of my eating fish this way...
    ...heres a net pic

**they will set the hook in you, if you don't do it the right way, since their spring loaded...[:D]

yoyo.gif

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    jimdandijimdandi Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Manitoba no spring loaded devices are allowed for angling...Even if they were it would be pretty tough to keep the fish on with barbless hooks....