In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

YO! DaBowman.........Question

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited March 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
...Hey DaBow,....am I a poet, and don't know it?...[:D]

...Tell me something I want to hear,....bought your rig yet? If not, what is holding you up?...and? Wheres your combo?...springs a'commin. Right now, at least in the South, it's TIME to be fishing. Fronts, rain (which we BADLY need) and wind make it hard...but it's fishing time! Of course 1 thing, and three dozen others have kept me from going YET this new year.

...But I swear, I am going to just set some days aside, and by gosh if a front just comes thru (which kills fishing for several days) or if it's another front/cold snap (which run the staging bass back to deeper water) ANY weather conditions won't keep me from going, fish or no fish....when I get the days picked, I'm a'goin....except high winds.

Hate the freakin wind, and since I throw 99.9% topwaters and plastic baits...the wind kills it anyway. The ranch lake(about 30 acres) that I fish almost exclusivly since I sold my boat...has no where to escape the wind...I'm dieing here.

Just finished up several topwaters (see the shameless post [:D]), and started 4-5 more...so in a week or so should have some more ready...if the humidity doesn't slow all the paint drying down too bad, of course it will. Heck, I might just have to keep some for myself...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    i'm havin second thoughts about the reel. i have an open face reel right now and it works great. i've caught everything from bass to perch to even muskie on it. all it is is a $50 shakespear rod reel combo with 8 lb. fireline. i'm still in deep though about the right one to get. i've been lookin around a bit and have found some very nice setups for $25-$75. i think i'm gonna stay with the open face.maybe someday i'll be daring and get a baitcaster........
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for the baitcaster!
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    DaBow, "grasshoppa, a little practice...and you WILL be able to snatch the pebbles from my hand...and...throw a baitcaster."
    GET IT IT! With the magnetic backlash control thingamajiggers (technical term) in the new reels....you will learn quick, learn now, before you have to start shaving and you will be ahead of the game. Man, you had me all excited for you. I'm so upset right now, I'm headed down to the tatto parlor and getting a tat of a tear in the corner of my eye...GET IT[:D]

(going inti a tirade too)thheilyummy2nj.gif

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Once you learn a baitcaster you'll love it, you will have much better control of where you place your cast.
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use all open face reels now. With the power pro line and no memory I have no bird nesting with the open face. However I do have a couple of bait casters with the power pro line. It works very nice on them also but I just find the open faces easier to use. I also use pretty light baits so maybe thats why.
    Bloviator you need to get your line wet.
    edited November -1
    2-barrel, your telling me! The last 2 days I could have just chunked out back,...my rain gauge showed 8"...[:0]

...badly need the rain

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    ok. i've picked out an ambassider reel but cant think of a pole. thoughts???legnth, action, ???????
    edited November -1
    ...for an all around rod. Try a 6' med/heavy action, that should allow you to handle baits from 1/4-1/2 oz. Get a rod where the blank goes all the way thru to the butt cap. ONE PIECE! ONE PIECE!
    Try one of the All Star rods, they are some of the best, and won't kill your wallet. If you can, get one with a LONG cork handle with a palm swell...get it. More comfortable, better control...[;)]

...All Star Rod link
    http://www.allstarrods.com/

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    ok.they look like some good rods .i'll be browsing the site for a while.[:D]
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn bloviator 8 inches of rain. Now that will mess the fishing up a bit.
    Well at least your fish ain't ah burnin up. [:D][;)]
    edited November -1
    ...last week they WERE burning (aprox. 1,000,000 ac., wildfires)
    ...this week, the fish are drowning...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    i noticed that there a a few different types. do you recamend any certain type?
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan
    Dicks has allstar rods for 59.99 and up depending on model. Get a 7 foot 1 piece and never look back.

Fenway Fenwick (berkley) also makes several 1 piece 7 foot rods that will cost 69-79 depending on model. These may be found cheaper in a box store.
    edited November -1
    DaBow, I descibed what type, see above. If it's a baitcasting reel....rod for baitcaster with above specs. At least 65 million modulus graphite, and sensitivity wont be a problem. I'm going to break down and pick up a Titainium, but any of theirs is good, just some better. Acacdamey has good prices on them, ck them out...Told you before, if you have any questions, my em is open...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    You've got to learn how to use a baitcaster sometime don't you???? No time like the present!![:D]