In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Havent fished in years but.....

silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I havent fished in bout twenty years or so and would like to maybe get a new rod and reel and start gettin a line wet again. Guess Im gettin older and contact sports just dont suit me anymore and the allure of fishing is calling once again. I have been lookin around at area shops but dont know what rodnreel combo to get. I want something that will be a pleasure to fish with on small lakes here in Kentucky and surrounding states but I want to come away feeling like I didnt spend a bundle. Can anyone recommend a rodnreel combo.

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    silver baitcaster, spinning reel?...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I have been thinking of that too. Ive only fished with a baitcaster. Whats the difference with a spinning reel? Maybe you tell me which one I should be using.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by silver6
    Well I have been thinking of that too. Ive only fished with a baitcaster. Whats the difference with a spinning reel? Maybe you tell me which one I should be using.

Spinning reals have an open spool, can handle any type of line, unlike a baitcaster. Easy to cast, easy to do anything with for that matter. Hold the line, open the bail and toss.

You would probably be better off with getting a spinning real. Decent baitcasters are 50 bucks and up. You can get a very good shimano spinning real for 30 bucks in any store.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Silver since you have used a baitcaster in the past, go with a baitcaster. You will not recognize the feel of a new one, much more user friendly. All decent ones have an adjustable magnetic anti-backlash setting that pretty much eliminates all backlashes.

I have owned/own Shimano, Qauntum, Tica, Ambassaduer, and Pinnacle. Have not ude the Tica yet(12BB's & 1 roller bearing)
    A lot of people have not heard/used a Pinnacle, and half * poo poo them,talking out their butt, BS. Before I buy another Shimano, or any other reel, I'd buy a Pinnacle, 8 or 10 BB. E-bay has 'em $45-65 bucks will buy you a nice one with at least 5BB's, I wouldn't have less. I know from personal experience that a Pinnacle will hold up to tons of bass up to 6-7 pounds, and at least 7 or so 8's, there tough and smooth.

Like, whats with $300 bucks for a Shimano, when a Pinnacle (or some other reels) will do everything as good or better than the Shimano, for way less $$$?
    I guess I have out grown the "I have a Shimano" coolness, their good, but NOT that damn good.

All Star All Star! A very good rod. Get a 6' or 6'6" med or med/hvy ONE piece rod, should handle most any baits you want to throw, you DON'T have to have half a dozen rods or more like I do, one all purpose rod will get you by. All Stars start around $50 bucks, and go up from there....the $50 buck one is fine to get started again with...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey silver if you have used a casting reel, stay with it. listen to BLOVIATOR he knows what he is talking about because he is older and wiser that mrbruce and me. he he he just kidding about BLOVIATOR he is a great guy. hey get back into fishing. you know that old saying "everyday you fish adds a year to your life" go for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shimano has many good reals for under $100
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    silver6 what are you going to fish for? Might make a difference as to the gear you would buy. Will you be fishing live bait or will you be cast artificial mostly? If you are going to fish around a lot of weeds then you need to gear up a bit tougher. The bait casters will take the weeds good but so do my open face reels. And the most expensive one I got cost about 35 bucks. But the 2 wal mart cheapies are my favorite. Abu Garcia
    Mx130 is the reels I use the most. $23.00
    The rods I use cost more than the reels and use the power lines such as the Power Pro line and the Spider Wire Fusion. I like the power Pro the best as it is smoother. These lines have no memory and zero stretch for great hook sets. I have never used this type of line for pan fish but will be gining it a try in a month or so. Will be using 8lb test Power Pro line. It has 1lb test thickness. Kind of hard on these old eyes. I will be using a ultra light pole for crappies. I wish you luck in your adventure back to fishing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont know 2 barrel? Last time I fished I was just a young boy. I dont know that much about fish either. I just know I used to enjoy being on the lake with my father or friends. I would like to fish for sonething fun to catch I know that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont know 2 barrel? Last time I fished I was just a young boy. I dont know that much about fish either. I just know I used to enjoy being on the lake with my father or friends. I would like to fish for sonething fun to catch I know that.

Then lets get you blue gill fishing to begin with!
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

Then lets get you blue gill fishing to begin with!
    that's how i started[:D]
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now shoff14 has a good idea as bluegils are really fun to catch and eat.
    Doesn't cost much to get started. A $20.00 combo, afew hooks, small sinkers and some worms and you can be out there enjoying fishing.

Watch some of those fishing shows on saterday and sunday and maybe that will help decide what kind of fishing you would like to do and what they use to catch them. Now one more thing you will have to do to become a great fisherman.
    To learn to lie faster than Bill Clinton. You know how that 4 inch Moby Dick that got away.[:D][;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Bluegill on an ultralight are a ball, so are crappie. Oh now I'm hungry!!!!
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    I put it down for 15 yrs,to busy with work and all.picked it up a few years ago, and glad I did, relaxing is the best word to describe the sport.gets you outside and near water, the best place to be in the spring time.[8D]

I havent fished in bout twenty years or so and would like to maybe get a new rod and reel and start gettin a line wet again. Guess Im gettin older and contact sports just dont suit me anymore and the allure of fishing is calling once again. I have been lookin around at area shops but dont know what rodnreel combo to get. I want something that will be a pleasure to fish with on small lakes here in Kentucky and surrounding states but I want to come away feeling like I didnt spend a bundle. Can anyone recommend a rodnreel combo.