In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shad

mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I had a great Shad Roe dinner for lunch today at Cobb Island (in the Potomac River) which brought this question up: In which rivers along the US East coast are you still allowed to catch Shad? The only two I know are the Rappahannoc in VA and the Delaware.

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...beats me. We net 'em around here and use them for Stripper bait, the big ones 20+ pounds...[:D]

...Roe?...as in fish egg dinner? The only fish eggs Ive eat are the little red ones sprinkled over some kinds of sushi, and crappie eggs...take the unbroken sack and fry it up CRISP with corn meal batter along with your fillets, taste just like crispy fish...[:D]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well i no nothing about shad up there but we have a lot of shad in missouri. good bait for catfish. we catch them with throw nets. one throw and you have about 2 or 3 gallons of shad. in early morning and late in evening we sit in boat out in big water and wait for the bass to tear into them. ease over and throw into the mess and drag those bass in. they beat the shad and water into a foam. bigger bass are deeper under the shad. drop a spoon and let it sink deeper for them. sometimes it is hard to get a spoon down there for the smaller fish hitting it. thats ok also. we use shad gutts also and shad sides.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shad must be like Mullet. Here in VA Mullet is considered bait but in the FL panhandle it's on menus and advertised for charity fish fries.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well these shad here in tablerock and truman in missouri i think are called thred fin shad. i have seen them about the size of your hand. they are real oily and hard to keep alive. there must be different kinds of shad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These are American and Hickory Shad I was referring to. Get to over a foot long.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will they take bait,flies,lures.? anything that large is worth catching.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In the spring and the Shad are running, small shiny moving lures seem to do it. They are so hungry on the way to spawn that I had student friends in Richmond, who claimed to have caught them on safety pins.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In the spring and the Shad are running, small shiny moving lures seem to do it. They are so hungry on the way to spawn that I had student friends in Richmond, who claimed to have caught them on safety pins.
  • Options
    tinmanjjtinmanjj Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the shad just started running up here in the delaware in pa.landed the biggest buck shad a 29 incher at 8 lbs thought it was aroe first