In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tournament Question

Tech WriterTech Writer Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
How do they determine who fishes where in the Pro Bass Tourmaments?

Tech Writer

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    TW ??? starting position? Lake? clarify.

There is not a "starting" position as such. Sometimes the amount of entries makes it to where there is a staggerd start for safety reasons...but it is rare. There is a certain "weigh in" time, for EVERYBODY...late to weigh in, you loose points for every min. your late past the weigh in time. Dead fish, same thing, they must be alive at weigh in.

On the BIG circuit, the committie chooses the lake location.
    If these aren't the answers your looking for, clarify please...[;)]

...To qualify for the BIG tourneys you have to fish a ton of small tourneys, and accumulate enough points to keep moving up, and make it to a "classic"...The people that think the pro tourney fisherman have it made, and "ANYBODY CAN FISH", are clueless...hope this helps some...

...Points are awarded for biggest fish of the tourney; most fish, etc.
    Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    Tech WriterTech Writer Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a Pro Bass Tournament, whenever they start in the morning, how is it determined where the guys will fish. Do they have assigned areas or just go as fgast as possible and get to their favorite area first?
    Tech Writer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TW, Several days before the tourney begins, the fisherman are there...on the lake...trying to locate the fish, "testing" if you will. They then fish the "hot spots" they locate...if any. It's up to them. The officials MAY lay out some pararmeter boundries, but thats it, entire lake is usually fair game. The fisherman keep their "honey holes" a tight secret, along with what their catching them on. There is even "dissinformation"..."oh yeah, I caught them all on a motor oil colored 8" curly tail worm, or a shad colored Shad-Rap" he he...[:D]

...A good tourney fisherman will "read" the water, and weather. If a rocky point, in 10' of water that is producing fish, thay will stay with that till it stops producing. ALL points (structure) that meet this criteria, should produce fish, no matter where on the lake it is located. After that stops producing fish, they will search for another pattern that produces fish...and hang with that...then move on to another pattern...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good book to aquire if your getting started is;"The complete guide to Bass Tournament Fishing" by; John M. Shirhal...Good-Luck,You'll need it[;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DIRTYRAT, quote:...Good-Luck,You'll need it

...[:D]...YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! About 35 years ago when I started bass fishing, I learned quick, and was good...so I thought. Joined one of the local bass clubs that held at least one club tourney a month...and did really well...several "big bass" trophys, several 1st place trophys. Then talked a friend and another member to enter some of the smaller tourneys...entry fees ran THEN from $50 to $150...the pay off was at best a real decent Ranger B boat and/or $2 to $5,000.

...Well, after about $3,000 in entry fees, and one "big bass' win, I was very humbled by how good some of these people were, whoa. I was/am pretty good, but even in these amatuer tourneys your going against some VERY good fisherman. The pro level? Hey, without a LOT of luck, I wouldn't even place...the pros are in a LEAGUE by themselves...that's why they are "pros"...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    ETECMANETECMAN Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey DIRTYRAT,
    Where are you from? Would love to get on of the Complete Guide (tournament books) you mentioned. Where can I get one? Tell me more about your fishing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also, I am going to Presque Isle Friday and Saturday of this week. April 28-29. Anyone been their yet this year?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am still looking for this book by Shirhal on Tournament Bass Fishing. Anyone know where I can get it?