In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Largemouth __

peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
edited March 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
The Bass were hitting last night but I couldn't catch them !!
My wife wanted to go to her mothers last night because she was going to be alone for a couple of hours. It was after sunset so it was dark but I decided to try for a couple of Bass.
Well, to make a long story short, I caught two. One was 3 1/2 lbs. and the other 2 lbs., just good eating size, but I missed 5 more. I don't like to fish for bass with soft plastics after dark because I can't see my line. If it were top water or crank baits it doesn't matter as much. I didn't have a camera with me so no pictures. Had a great time !!![:D]

Thanks---Peabo

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Hey Mr. P., doin ok?...at least your fishing [:D]
    Not going to preach to the choir...since you have caught a bigger bass than me [:D].

Just some things Ive found that work...because I use mostly plastic baits at night,love the full moon.

...Black baits tend to work better, they are more visable to a fish against whatever light is available.
    ...If your having a lot of pk-ups and few hook sets, you may try the same color, same type plastic bait, but go down one hook size...and bait size.
    ...The most important thing Ive found for producing good hook sets at night when we can't see poop except under a nice moon is...1 pc. rod, and great no-stretch line.
    ...A 1 pc. rod is s-o-o much more sensitive than any 2 pc. made.
    A good 1 pc. high modulus graphite (65mil.& up), blank thru the handle, and you can feel a fish swim by just about.
    The main sense we have for night fishing is "feel".
    ...A primo, no stretch, sensitive line, to make sure you feel the fish when it first pks-up, then to transmit 100% of your hook set to the hook.
    ...Try a scent, or a bait imprgnated with salt or a scent...they may hold the bait longer, to give your a better hook set.

...Again, I'm not "telling" you anything, just that I fish a LOT at night, my favorite time, with plastic baits..and have had some pretty good success...lucky dog you...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any and all suggestions are appreciated !!
    I was using a dark (watermelon red) Zoom super fluke, which is my favorite and most productive soft plastic. I had no trouble feeling the initial hit, but I like to give them a little slack and when they run with it, I set the hook. I couldn't watch my line to tell when they ran with it.
    I also use a scent but I will try to down size to the Fluke (smaller than the Super Fluke) and will down size my hook also. I am currently using an Eagle Claw 4/0 wide gap worm hook - the red ones. They are a thin wire type hook. What would be your suggestion for a hook to use?
    No, you are not preaching to the choir, because you know more about fishing than I do !! I don't have a boat so all my fishing is done from the dock at my Mother in laws. I was just lucky when I caught that 10 Pounder !!!
    All suggestions will be used and appreciated.
    PS---I found out this morning that I did have my camera on the back seat but didn't know it !!! Could have taken a picture. My mother in law cleaned those two and put them in the freezer for her sister (my wife's aunt) to give to her today. She loves to eat Bass.
    dcp_0423a.jpg

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    peabo, quote:I had no trouble feeling the initial hit, but I like to give them a little slack and when they run with it, I set the hook. I couldn't watch my line to tell when they ran with it.

...Here's how I learned to "worm" fish from an old tourney guy, over 30 yrs. ago..."wormin" was fairly new around here when I learned.

...Cast, and imediately reel up all your slack the second your bait hits the water...and keep the slack out all the to the bottom.
    Check now to make sure you have the slack out, and you KNOW you feel the bait.
    Work your rod from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock...reel up your slack, and 10 to 2 again. That way you always have the rod in position to "drop" the tip quick, reel up your slack FAST, and set, if you have a pk-up.

I usaully use a little rod tip jiggle...to shake my bait...every few "10 to 2's"...and I always use a rattle, glass prefferably...and this tip jiggle for sure makes it rattle a little more.
    When I feel a pk-up, or even think I do...I drop my tip, reel up any slack as fast as I can, and BAM...set the hook...I don't let them "hold" the bait long at all,...most of the time a "tic" is all you feel, especially while your bait is falling. "About setting the hook the instant you feel a pk-up...instead of letting them "run"; I think back to Reggie (my mentor)"Better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all", stuck with me, about using plastic baits and fishing anyway [:D]

...that's how I usually fish plastic baits, except for grubs, I tend to "swim"" those...again w/a rattle. I never throw a plastic bait without a rattle, ever. I think they get a fish to pay more attention to your bait, and HOLD it a little longer because they are more interested to start with because of the rattle.

Hooks? Dang, you had to ask. I have been using basically the same type hook for years, and they go straight into my hook box in my worm bag. Lazer Point? Lazer Sharp? #3....#4 (mainly), and #5.

I like Tru-Turn, and Gamakatsu also. The Lazer whatever I use, come sharp as hell out the pkg., so do Gammies...Tru-Turns you may need to sharpen IMO...but I like the way they do "turn" the exact right way when you set the hook.

When I get some more, I'll em you the exact name, sorry, I just know the pkg. when I see it...I tend to stay w/stuff that works well for me, good or bad I guess. I know they are not round from the barb up, concave on the inside, and sharper than poop...being concave on the backside, you don't have as much steel to pull thru to get a good hook set...every little thing helps, and adds up, IMO. Well, thats pretty much how I "worm" fish, hope it gives you some ideas...as if a guy that lands 10's needs ideas...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...oh yeah, the blood hooks (red). Their fairly new, what 2-3 yrs. they've been out? Have a couple of traps that they came with the blood hooks, have not tried any in worm hooks. I Need to try the worm hooks. I have not noticed any difference with the traps w/blood hooks and the ones without; having said that, I have not noticed they have hurt any either.

...I know I really like the way some baits look with the blood hooks, but then I'm not a fish either...been called a lot of things, but a fish wasn't one of 'em...[:D]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MVC-515S.jpg

These are the hooks that I have been using and right now have on the red Eagle Claw. I have it Carolina rigged with a swivel and spider wire as a leader to help pull them out of the grass. If I don't let them run with it, I seem to miss a lot by not getting a good hook set. It seems the hook does not protrude from the bait enough to hook them. If I let them run with it, they swallow it all the way down to their guzzle (is that a part of a fish?) and it is very hard to get the hook out without harming them since I release most of what I catch.
    I drag this bait about 2 feet and stop, drag again and stop. With the carolina rig, when I stop, the bait darts side to side and seems to attract a lot of fish. Most strikes are when I stop the drag. Some times, I jiggle it between drags causing it to dart more.
    Any suggestions on presentation?
    I haven't seen any rattlers to add to this setup. Can you show me a picture of which ones you use, how to use them, and where I might be able to find them?
    I am going to learn all of your secrets and then I am going to post a picture of a 15 pounder that you helped me catch ![:D]
    BTW I may have to try again this afternoon just before sunset. Wish me luck. And this time, I'm going to make sure I have my camera.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mr P., charging the camera now, will try to get some pics in a short. Thats a beutiful pic of the pier,btw...[;)]

...back in a short.

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Better hurry, I'm itching to get to the lake !![:D]

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...DUH! Owner brand! ...hooks. Dang, just came back to me...as I saw a one of my hook boxs in my worm bag just then...with a few compartments marked OWNER!!...[:D]

...pics in a short, w/ the rattles, and how I use 'em....

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...ok, here are some of the Owner hooks, One has the straight shank, and the other has the bent shank to help the bait stay on & not slide down; but the straight has some little barbs close to the eye that serve pretty much the same purpose. If it's pretty windy, or if I'm going to be making long casts, I prefer the bent shank. A few of the glass rattles too. Notice the rattles have one pointy end, and one rounded end? Obvious the pointy end goes in first, BUT, if your not careful...some rattles are round at both ends and are a pain in the * to get in, I don't even buy those as I have know in my old age finally figured out to keep plenty in my bag...an empty 35mm film cannister works great btw...
    baits002.jpg

...some of my lizards, just love them things, from 6" +. The black is my favorite, NIGHT TIME...NIGHT TIME!, but I throw them any time. Chartreuse and about any green color w/pumpkinseed...my 2nd favorite, along with grape.
    baits001.jpg

baits003.jpg

baits005.jpg

...A few grubs, my color preferance, is the same as for the lizards...always the "darker the water, or less light,...the darker your bait should be. No light is seen thru a very dark, or black bait, so it is sillouehted (sp chk for sure!) against whatever light there is, and fish can see it better. A light color bait lets light thru, instead of presenting a good outline to the fish...sounds a bit odd to use black baits when its a pitch balck night, but just take your baits out in the sun...and hold 'em up, and notice you can see the darker ones outlined better...and the lighter ones you can't see the outline near as well.
    baits004.jpg

...The rattles. Notice the one in front of the bait, on the table. The point of that one, is pointed the same directin of the one I inserted in the bait above it. I always face the point to the back of the bait, & put it in the bottom, top works fine. If you have to chunk hard for long casts or windy conditions, the rattles point "digs" in in the direction your chunking, and stays in better.
    ...Notice in the first pic I put the rattle in further toward the tail, if you can get one in there, it will rattle a bit more. Be careful not to put it in where your hook and or point is going to hit it, or your bait might not hang straight. I Texas rig 98% of the time, all plastic baits, as I said, I find it hard to change from something that works for me.
    baits013.jpg
    baits009.jpg
    baits008.jpg

...Your local bass shop, or I buy my rattles at Acadamey, watch for those jinky ones that are round at both ends. If they don't have them locally, they should, look on the net. I pay around $3 for ten of the 1/2 to 5/8" long ones, careful too...some are really too big and fat...most of the sizes I mentioned are about 3/16ths diameter, work fine in any size bait. I used to make mine, really easy with a gas range, no high heat needed...and there about .08 or .10 a piece vs. .30. I cant find the glass tubing any more that is not pyrex, and that crap takes high heat and too long, not worth making them w/it. If I could find regular glass, usually 4' lenghts, a couple pair of needle nose, one steel shot shell #7 1/2 or 8 shot(one shell makes a LOT of rattles!) and your in the rattle business, super quick and easy.

...I work all my baits, lizards, worms, crawfish etc., the "10 o'clock to 2 o'clock" way, with a jiggle of my rod tip every few "10 to 2's". Grubs I kinda "walk the dog" (a topwater presentation) underwater of course, SLOWLY. Sometimes I'll "10 to 2" the grub slowly and never stop cranking, slowly. A grub can be fun, just try any dam* thing you feel like, fast, slow, about any presentation works with one...easy to fish.

...well Mr. P., I hope some of this makes sense...[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks good to me. Now I'm going to have to digest all of this and see if I can figure it all out. The second hook, not the straight one, I have used. I try to cast as far as I can and I need it to be held on better. I cast out as far as I can toward the center of the lake because there is what appears to be a creek bed where the bottom drops off to about 9 ft. from 5 ft. and that is where I have caught all the big ones. I had a boater who came by one day check it out for me with his depth finder. I will be looking for some of those rattlers and probably going back to the hook you have.
    OFF TO THE LAKE--- wish me luck. I've got my camera. Let you know when I get back.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    good to hear you caught some at least.....[:)]
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY PEABO NICE FISHING. LIZARDS LIZARDS LIZARDS BLACK AND MOTOROIL. OH AND BY THE WAY, WHEN CAN BLOVIATOR AND MYSELF COME DOWN TO YOUR POND. HE HE HE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, they weren't setting the woods on fire this afternoon but did manage to catch three like this. On the way home I had to stop by a friends house and talk about guns for a while.
    DCP_0587.jpg

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peabo
    Well, they weren't setting the woods on fire this afternoon but did manage to catch three like this. On the way home I had to stop by a friends house and talk about guns for a while.
    DCP_0587.jpg

Thanks---Peabo
    NICE!!!
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK OK JUST KEEP RUBBING IT IN.............HEALTHY LOOKING FISH. NICE CATCH. UMMMMMM GOOD.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

...The most important thing Ive found for producing good hook sets at night when we can't see poop except under a nice moon is...1 pc. rod, and great no-stretch line.
    ...A 1 pc. rod is s-o-o much more sensitive than any 2 pc. made.
    A good 1 pc. high modulus graphite (65mil.& up), blank thru the handle, and you can feel a fish swim by just about.
    The main sense we have for night fishing is "feel".
    ...A primo, no stretch, sensitive line, to make sure you feel the fish when it first pks-up, then to transmit 100% of your hook set to the hook.

I think those are the keys anytime when fishing with plastics. I find that even saugeye fishing that 1pc rods are better, period. And much of my saugeye fishing over the last few years have been at night. My non stretch line of choice is Pline flourocarbon. Pricey, but excellent line that you can't cut the 8 pound test with your teeth. [8D]
  • Options
    ETECMANETECMAN Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peabo,
    Try the new red Mustad worm hooks. They are chemically sharpened and hold a sharp point longer and the point is less prone to bend, distort or brake after many many smallmout or largemouth catches. Fantastic hook. The process is called Norsharpened I believe & I found it to be a superior point compared to most others I have used.
  • Options
    willdallas2006willdallas2006 Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

...Here's how I learned to "worm" fish from an old tourney guy, over 30 yrs. ago..."wormin" was fairly new around here when I learned.

...Cast, and imediately reel up all your slack the second your bait hits the water...and keep the slack out all the to the bottom.
    Check now to make sure you have the slack out, and you KNOW you feel the bait.
    Work your rod from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock...reel up your slack, and 10 to 2 again. That way you always have the rod in position to "drop" the tip quick, reel up your slack FAST, and set, if you have a pk-up.

I usaully use a little rod tip jiggle...to shake my bait...every few "10 to 2's"...and I always use a rattle, glass prefferably...and this tip jiggle for sure makes it rattle a little more.
    When I feel a pk-up, or even think I do...I drop my tip, reel up any slack as fast as I can, and BAM...set the hook...I don't let them "hold" the bait long at all,...most of the time a "tic" is all you feel, especially while your bait is falling. "About setting the hook the instant you feel a pk-up...instead of letting them "run"; I think back to Reggie (my mentor)"Better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all", stuck with me, about using plastic baits and fishing anyway [:D]
    [/quote]

What kind of weights do you use when you fish plastics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will, I use the bullet weights with plastics and Carolina rigged. I know there are better systems, but this is what I have used for years and have plenty of them on hand so continue to use them.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...bullet weights. Got a two-sided compartment box I keep in my worm bag...probably 4-500 assorted bullet weights...think I have enough? [:D] If I want to get down deep, quick, thru crap...and I am NOT worried about missing fish on the drop, 3/4...maybe bigger...I always use about an 1/16-1/8oz weight...just about the smaller the better...I like it to fall slow...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    willdallas2006willdallas2006 Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Peabo. Im still trying to figure out the best ways to fish for bass. I use bullet weights Texas rigged.