In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Bass Fishing Tips

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I have just started bass fishing. Went for the first time the other day. The only baits we used were spinning baits and some type of soft bait (like a small fish)

Only caught fish on the spinning baits. So I picked up some of these the other day.

I need tips so that I can outfish this "experienced" fisherman.

Like what is the failsafe of bass baits?

Comments

• Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll throw in a few for ya that work for me.
    Rubber worms
    Double jointed black/silver rapala
    Rooster tails{spinner}
    If Im shore fishing, I cast along the shore and toward any structure{rocks-trees-stumps etc...} from a boat, I cast to the shore or around the same types of cover/structure....
    Good-Luck!
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    need to know what kind of area you are fishing i.e grassy bottom, stumps, and what state you're in
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Maine. Downeast Maine to be more specific.

What we fished the other day was rocky bottom and we fished the edges and around Beaver Dens.

That was the only lake I have fished for bass, so dont really know the bottom type for other lakes we are going to visit soon.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    for me, spinnerbaits and 7.5 inch rubber worms with jigs
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Plastic baits! They are hard to "not" work right, though there is a "method" to them

...Get some 6" lizards, black, chartruese, and a grape or blackberry.
    Use owner hooks 3-5 '0, and some 1/16-1/8 oz bullet weights and use the "texas rig"...easier to use than a Carolina rig

Try some of the same color...or other colors: motor oil, pumpkinseed...there are a LOT of colors...but these mentioned are almost always good.

3-5" grubs, hooked Texas rigged...hard to "work" them wrong, and fish love them...this is just a teeny weeny beginning...but should have you catching fish.

Throw into crap (brush,sunken logs) that you are sure you will hang up on...where the fish are...Texas rigs don't hang up, or don't hang up easy at all...go get him...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to say soft plastics as well but unless you are familiar with soft plastic fishing you will miss a lot of fish. Spinner baits and swim baits ( the soft plastic fish look alike you spoke of) are pretty good beginner bass baits. Texas rig is the only way to go for me. I've caught more fish with a Texas rigged worm or lizard than all other baits combined. Use braided line if at all possible. No stretch in it and you can feel more. You don't have to set the hook nearly as hard with braided line either.

I wish you weren't a yankee so I could show you exactly what I mean. [:D]
  • Options
    EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man I love topwater lures or shallow crankbaits. I fish broke back minnows like crazy, get a few colors and sizes. Frog poppers, gotta get the hang up twitching them to "burp".
    I like the smaller spinner baits with the grub tails green or white.

Oh yeah... cast. cast. cast till your arm gets tired , you'll get the tricks down. I always get ready to give up and say "maybe 5 more casts...wham"