In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ANYBODY ever try this?

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
My son-in-laws dad was by a couple of days ago, and of course fishing was the topic. He mentioned this rig...and I had never thought about it before, sounds fun!

After he left, I got to looking...and can't find my fly fishing rig, or ultra light rig! I think I loaned them both out, long gone now.[:(]

the rig
A flyrod with a closed face reel, I guess a medium size Zeb reel would work fine. Wow, an 8' limberd**k flyrod would be great fun on crappie and some of them big 'ol perch! I'm sure it would be great to get some real distance on those 1/16 & 1/8 oz little spinners too.

He used it to reach into brush to access crappie, and perch, sounds like a good weapon for that!

I'm "young" enough to remember all the bait, and gas stations by any lake had l-o-n-g cane poles for that; matter of fact I have 2-3 in the shed that were my dads.

It's been YEARS since Ive seen cars going down the road with cane poles tied on top, or hanging 5' out of car windows...[:D]

...Dang, guess I need to go get another flyrod, and ultra light rig.

Shoot, think I will find a medium size closed faced reel for the flyrod...matter of fact, think I'll get a flyrod alone and forget the fly reel...and just use a closed face like I mentioned.

The only time I used the flyrig was at the ranch lake anyway.
THAT way,...no one saw me trying using it...sure I look like
someone with advanced Parkinsons...being electrocuted...[:D]
Tried two different trips to Colorado to use it(flyrod/reel)
and after an hour of having the 20' of line and leader wrap around me...I went to my ultra light...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey BLOVIATOR yeah i have been using that rig for 25 years. When i came to missouri everybody thought i was crazy. it works great. i have four of the rigs now.some of the guys that used to fish with me at truman lake would not go with me if i took the long rod. i would have a brush pile fished out before the back of the boat got there. i would not go crappie fishing with out at least one. there are places that they are not good tho. thats where a short rod comes in handy. try it you will like it once you get used to it. i have one fly rod that i have replaced the line guides with spinning guides, but it is not really that much of difference. little longer if you want to cast.
  • Options
    beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used an eight foot fly rod until a couple of months ago. I bought a twelve foot slab seeker made by Zebco. It has a fluoresent tip and a small number 11 Zebco reel. The first fish I caught on this rod and reel was a five pound three ounce bass. I put some high visibility line on it and have caught a bunch of crappie with it. Gander Mountain $29.99. This is the two piece one. The telescopic one didn't feel very sensitive.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I've used a 7wt. fly rod with one of the micro sized spinning reels from Mitchell (I think) that was designed for spiderwire. Loaded it up with the 1lb diameter stuff. Worked great on crappies, bream and small bass.