In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Catfish bait

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
What is your very best bait for catfish?
I would choose bluegill

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old Faithful-

Chicken liver that been sitting in the sun for 4 days.
  • beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh shad. I change to a fresh shad every hour if im not getting a bite. Perch, of whatever kind I can catch in my casting net, if I can't catch shad.

If Im not casting very far, such as in a small pond or from a boat, I like Danny King's Punch bait, Catfish Charlie B, or Paul's bait.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Shrimp that are just a bit to ripe to eat are a good bet on big cats........
    Also caught a bunch of big blues in Canada using live frogs of all things.........
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...hey suspension, heres a homemade recipe ndeltaguns posted awhile back, probably try it here pretty soon. I think I'll make up a batch as the recipe calls for...then "tweek" it a little.
    ...the ranch lake is full of big channel cat, I think the smallest I have ever caught was about 20" long, never weighed any of 'em, caught a lot about 30".

...I keep a compost pile going to use on plants and veggies that stays full of worms, I add corn meal regularly to it, also that helps feed the worms. Use ndeltaguns recipe then get a batch of worms and blend up and add to the recipe, sounds good if I was a catfish! When I do, I'll post some pics, and results of both baits...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    ...DUH! this may help...ndeltaguns homemade catfish bait [:D]

ndeltaguns recipe
    I do alot of catfishing on the Mississippi river and this is my recipe that seems to work very well. Take a pack of the cheap red hotdogs ( the ones with the skin), cut into bite sized pieces, soak with one bottle of liquid crab boil, and vegetable oil, and garlic salt. Works really well and doesnt smell bad either. Hook bait through the skin of the hot dog and it will stay on the hook longer. Good Luck.

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Night-Crawlers....
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hot dogs. i'm serious.
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Hot dogs work great. Another is slightly rotten shrimp in a small peice of nylon stocking.
  • blugillblugill Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shad gut in cold weather,shrimp when it starts warming up, cheese bait when it is hot.Night crawlers anytime but anything could bite on them.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    ...DUH! this may help...ndeltaguns homemade catfish bait [:D]

ndeltaguns recipe
    I do alot of catfishing on the Mississippi river and this is my recipe that seems to work very well. Take a pack of the cheap red hotdogs ( the ones with the skin), cut into bite sized pieces, soak with one bottle of liquid crab boil, and vegetable oil, and garlic salt. Works really well and doesnt smell bad either. Hook bait through the skin of the hot dog and it will stay on the hook longer. Good Luck.

Sounds good, I'll try that this summer. Your first post sorta confused me, thanks for reposting it. [;)]

I have heard of using shrimp quit a bit. It's rather exspensive to come by here in Ohio and I'd hate to spend more on my bait than my fishing drink. [:D]
  • blugillblugill Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nightcrawlers in Illinois are getting close to $3 a dozen. Wally world has 30 to 40 count shrimp for $4.99 frozen. Cut in half you get at least 60 pieces of bait. Cheaper than worms.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Old Faithful-

Chicken liver that been sitting in the sun for 4 days.

... and gizzards. I also had good luck with "SPAM" ... no j[:)]ke.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anything that smells bad catfish will eat near about anything
  • jimdandijimdandi Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    prime bait for big cats on the red river is cut bait... goldeye, tulibee, or sucker. When they are really not on the the cut baits then good size shrimp (head on) work well too.... I don't know a single guide that uses stink baits up here...
    Remember....keep the line tight!!!!!
    edited November -1
    ...A couple of years ago, the whole family was gone on a trip, I was home alone [:D][:D][:D]!!!!
    Had my boat then, but it was a Sat, and the lake I live 10min from, is like really crowded in the summer with jetskis and rec boaters, so too much trouble to mess w/my boat.

On that lake there is an old hwy bridge that has been out of use for 30 years or more and runs a 100+ yds. into the water. So,...I thought WTH, I'll make some homemade bait, go to the bridge, and see what happens. I mixed wheaties, vanilla, waffle syrup, a little water, garlic powder, brown sugar, all into a firm hardball size ball...put it in the freezer for an hour.

Went to the bridge, took off a pc and rolled into a marble sized little ball, put it on a crappie hook, and dropped it into about 6' of water. Less than 5 min and I pulled up a pound, pound and a half channel cat! Heck, I figured I'd be catching carp just for the fun of it. Well, an hour later I left with a dozen cat all about the same size, surprised me! Gave the left over bait to some other black guy fishing beside me, and he caught one before I could get my stuff picked up and leave! Never tried it again, don't know if it was just the "right" time, or if it is really a pretty good cat bait...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    A friend told me once that the fish wouldn't hit the night crawlers, but when he put the dirt from the NC container on the hook they hit that?? Fish are really something else!
  • zacgzacg Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sonny's Catfish bait
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    live blugill. I rig it on about 3 foot of line with a "tennis ball" bobber, and put it over brush. It catches bass & cats.

I also like shrimp.

Ben
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Chicken-liver with a big "lugie" spat on it...Never fails...
    Jeff
    edited November -1
    ...well, that is the homemade bait I referred to in a recent post...I have it copied, but had forgot it was ndeltaguns that had posted it.

ndeltaguns was in his gunshop about a month back, and two guys came in and shot and killed him,...before robbing him.
    R.I.P William... you were a nice, polite guy.

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    suspension quote:What is your very best bait for catfish?

...little micies...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    suspension quote:What is your very best bait for catfish?

...little micies...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

they love them micies to peices [:D][:D][:D][:D]