In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dorado off of Cozomel (picture re-sized)

elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
This is a recent picture from a cuise. I booked a 1/2 day trip from Cozomel. This was my first sea fishing experience.

dorado28ww.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here are some of the pictures from my trip to Mexico. I was near Cabo San Lucas. The first is a Yellow fin Tuna.
    Mexico06178.jpg

The other is a Striped Marlin. This one was released.
    Mexico06022.jpg

Fishing down there is a little different. We fished 3 days and cought over 20 dorado, 2 marlin and the one tuna. That's doing good for 15 hours on the water.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SWEET!! I would love to do a long trip like that.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Elk, man, nice fish! Man, that is some fine eating you got there![:p]

dcso, fine tuna you got there! But, I don't get it...you can tune a guitar....but you can't tune a fish....[8D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Bloviator
    Elk, man, nice fish! Man, that is some fine eating you got there![:p]

I didn't get to eat him[V]. I was a cruise with my wife and they would not let me bring him on board and they had no way to flash freeze him and send him home. I was not happy. They took him to the local fish market so I know he didn't go to waiste.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Elk quote:I didn't get to eat him. I was a cruise with my wife and they would not let me bring him on board and they had no way to flash freeze him and send him home. I was not happy. They took him to the local fish market so I know he didn't go to waiste.

...[:0]...oh man! When we were in Cabo, we took them to the Hotel and had the cooks fix 'em up...fed us, them, and their families...[:p]

....bet they got a pretty penny at the fish market for the meat...then THEY got a pretty penny also, oh well...they are fun to catch...but better to eat. We took a sailfish in and had the Hotel cooks cook it too. Man those mexcans did some good stuff to that sailfish, steaks, kabobs, fried, baked, chunked up and made like a shrimp cocktail, grilled, ceviecie (spck)...mmmm[:p]

...damn, now I'm hungry...[^]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Elk:
    Sweet "Coe Dolphin" buddy.It's goin for $11.50 A pound in the local market here,for fillet.Almost time to head "out front" here and box a few of them babys myself.

DSCO:
    That's the perf. size yeller man.Great sashimi,and not quite big enough to break your back catchin it.Them yellers are like a turbo-charged football!!!
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Elk
    You really missed out by not eating that one! They are tremendous. Like Bloviator said, we had some of the yellow fin and dorado cooked at a resort. It was $15/ plate for grilled tuna and dorado, blackened tuna and dorado and a huge dish of cevechi allong with other sides as well.

fishkiller
    You are correct, they fight like hell! By far the hardest tug I have ever had on my line. I fish trout and salmon in the great lakes, and they are not even close! Even the marlin did not put up near as good of a fight.

Here is some of the pics of dorado from my trip
    Day 1 (notice the waves)
    Mexico06003.jpg
    Mexico06076.jpg

Day 2 (waves were worse!)
    Mexico06175.jpg

Day 3 (Finally calm)
    JoeCaboFishing.jpg
    I have some recomendations if anyone is interested. From what all the people there said GO IN OCTOBER OR NOVEMBER! Fishing is much better then. It dies off as the water cools in the "winter".
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    DCSO:
    That yeller looks to be in the 25-28 lb. range .I went on a yellerfin trip out of Palm beach to Walkers Cay in the Bahamas.(made the crossing in a buddy'e 25' Hydrasport/twin 225 Ocean pro's )I myself cought 7 yellers the smallest in the 80-85 lb. range and one of them was over 140 lb.That was 3 or 4 years ago and i think my left arm is still 2" longer than my right.Catchin a yellerfin is somthin a man NEVER forgets,and nomatter how many you catch, the "rush" never goes away..Do it every chance you get and if you're ever in the West Palm Beach Florida area let me know you're coming and i'll see if I can get you offshore.
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DSCO:

Now your just showing off...I love it! Keep the pictures coming! I got the shakes from looking at those fish, I need to go wet a line tonight.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishkiller
    The tuna was more like 70lbs. I am a little bigger than average guy, so the fish looks a little smaller. That day was when we got most of the dorado as well. Then we heard on the radio of a school of porpus(sp?) feeding on sardines. We chased them down and pulled lead-head plugs through them. My father-in-law and I hooked up right away. I got mine, his got off. There were about 25 other boats there too and I was the only one to catch one!
    As for West PB... I was there 6 or 7 years ago for a honeymoon with my ex. We fished on a drift boat. I caught 3 king mackerel and one Jackfish. Not bad since most of the people did not jig their dead bait so they cought nothing. The captain hooked up on a sailfish, but lost it. There were also some barracuda in the water around the boat, but no one hooked up on them.

Elk
    I plan to have many more fish pictures. I am heading up to Lk. Superior for a tournament in early June. Last year the coast guard guys called us crazy for fishing 7' breaking waves in a 17' boat, in the rain/ wind/ fog combo. Thanks to our GPS we made it in just fine from 10 miles out. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but hey the lakers were hammering...Damn greasers anyway. (this is back at the house off the big lake)
    Picture047.jpg
    Then in July we go to Lk. Michigan for 2 weeks for salmon. Here is a good morning we had last year...
    salmon2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dsco you rock! Keep those pictures coming. Laker season is about over here so I'm back to catching my little trout and trying to figure out smallies. I'm going to be in Dallas of 4th of July, might get to do something fun there.