In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bleedin'-bait hooks

fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I've done a little testing/research on them.I bought a pack of trebels and a pack of " j " siyle ,10 each i think .And put a few of them on very similar if not identical lures and Tex. rigged lizzard artificials.
I can't say HANDS DOWN the red is better,but it sure seems like the bleeding bait hooks get more attention.Has anyone else noticed the difference??
My research will continue until i can reach a more conclusive outcome
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I asked Bloviator to put some of those red hooks on the lures he made for me, and they sure seem to work up here on these Northern Largemouths. That red slash sided lure he made for me don't have the red hooks on it and it don't seem to catch the fish the one with the red hooks does, but maybe it's just the color. I'm kinda new at this top water stuff, I'm a live bait kinda guy [;)]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I found the trick to topwater/popper type baits is to cast it out, and as a rule, wait till the "splash-ring" is 20' away from the bait, or gone.At least 20-30 sec.Than give it a double ot tripple "pop".Wait a few seconds and give it another series of pops.I vary the amount of pops and the time between them. Most of the time (at least on the Fl.Strane bass here in So.Fl)the hit comes during the pause.If you havn't tried this method,give it a shot.The red hooks have improved my top-water bite as well.Hope this helps you,If not ,it won't hurt none.[8D]
    Jeff
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Yep Fishkiller thats what Bloviator said to do with them, and as you mention it does work out if done that way, and they do seem to hit it on the pause.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...well, guess I need to try more of my blood hooks...thats what the fish think the red is...so "they" say...but "they" (tourney pros) say a LOT...I can't seem to tell the difference, but, hell...I'm so set in my ways...if it works, I stay with it...too long sometimes I think...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif