In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Penn 209 reel

beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Has anyone ever used a Penn 209 reel. I have had a hankering for one of these since I first saw one. I was wondering if you could cast one easy. Mainly to be used for catfish and I need to cast for distance.

Comments

• beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I bought one anyway.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Don't know, give me a few days and i'll see if it will pull in a catfish. I was amazed at how simple this reel is made. I was also amazed to find its made in the USA.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beagle
    Don't know, give me a few days and i'll see if it will pull in a catfish. I was amazed at how simple this reel is made. I was also amazed to find its made in the USA.
    ok. let us know
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Yep..."PENN"Reels are made in Philadelphia PENNsylvania[:D]
    Jeff
    edited November -1
    Ok, I took the Penn fishing. I put it on a 10' spinning rod that I bought for five dollars at a trades day. I caught two nice channel cat and one gar. This reel is great, I can throw around sixty to seventy yards with it.

This is what I expected. My cousin, who is several years older, used to take me fishing when I was young and had one.

I loaded it with trilene, that silver stuff from wal-mart. This is definitley an experts reel. It will backlash very easy if your mind is not on casting.