In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bloviator and others.....need help........

DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
pickin out a fishin pole[:I]i looked around at baitcasters and have found some stuff. i found a all star & flueger(?) combo for $100. is that a good combo? i was lookin at a ambessader reel with abu rod for bout $80. Is that a good deal? what do ya recamend?

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    DaBow, man I tell you what, go to Acadamy Sports and pick up a nice 6'- 6'1/2' All Star rod, maybe a med hvy..that will handle 1/4 oz baits and up. Get one with a LONG cork handle, more leverage, and way more comfey.(spck)..prabably $65-$90. All Star was bought out by (Shakespere??) but they are still super sensitive, and qaulity...and I think,...if it says "Houston" on it...it is before they were bought out, not real sure on that...but they were made in Houston...and those are still plentiful.
    Loomis...and others are awesome, but so is the price tag.

For a reel...I will never by another Ambassaduer, and me and Ambassaduer go back a long way.

... To start with, but will last too, I'm telling you, and everyone...try a Pinnacle...REAL hard to beat for the buck, and they will hold up to big fish, and abuse...and they won't cost you your first born.

I forget the diff mod numbers, but go to fleabay...one of the biggest selections over almost all stores, and find a nice one with at lest 5 BB's.that would be a 6 bearing....5 BB's and one roller bearing. A seven bearing would be 6BB's...and one roller bearing, see?

The more ball bearings the better, smoother, but at least 5 BB's to start, and w/the new anti-backlash features,...just SUPER smooth and you'll be chunkin a country mile in no time.

I have/had Shimanos, Ambassaduers, you name it, if it was good...and they are.weren't the cheap models either. Pinnacle for the money can't be beat. No, you can't say, "oh, I have a $400 Shimano", but who the H* wants too??? ...when for about $75 bucks you can get a Pinnacle that is smooth as ANY $200 Shimano; $150 Pinnacle will be smoother, hold up, as ANY priced Shimano...and better and smoother than any Ambassaduer ever thought of being.

Ambassaduer is still living off their name from their old 5000c reel...the best baitcasting reel a bass man could buy in the early days. Some people swear by 'em...and the last one I bought, which was their first attemt at a small palmable reel 3100c (I think) back about 6 years ago $140 bucks...has been to shop for repairs 3 times, and never been as good as the first Pinnacle I bought (3BB's!) for $45-50 bucks!

Shimanos are great, but a lot of people like the "cool" factor [xx(]..and are willing to spend big bucks for that. You can have just as good a reel, that when you tell someone about it they go "a what"?...then you let then chunk it, and there sold....hope this helps some, hell, people , and I'm the worse, get hung up on one thing, or a name...be a rebel.[:D] try it and you'll like it, and save bucks.

...I bought a Tica w/12BB's and one roller bearing early this year, hard to find, not in any stores that I could find...had to buy it off the net, halfway hard to find there! Tica is known for their salt water stuff,...then ventured into this awesome bass (baitcasting) reel...nobody I talked to, OR talk to now have/has ever heard of it...it will throw freakin 75 yds..., well, a long way...[:D] and is SMOOTH...maybe my favorite reel now...I use it on a 6.6" All Star for one of my top water rigs, and it feels s-o-o-o good...good luck buddy...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    stay away from Pflueger reels. On a fishing forum I'm on several guys have complained about the pflueger reels flying apart while casting. Cabela's has a great deal on a Daiwa TDS reel and rod for right around 100 bucks. The rod itself is almost worth that. I fish with last years model Shimano Citica and love it. My next reel will be a Daiwa though.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BowMan
    The bigger question is... What are you fishing for? The above mentioned rigs sound good for bass. Musky rigs need to be a lot different, as do walleye, salmon, stream trout... You get the picture. I posted this once before, but I use custom rods built by these guys http://www.dlfcustomfishingrods.com/ They can build you anything from St. Croix, Loomis, Graphite USA... The list goes on. Their wood handle beats any cork, or synthetic material any day. Stronger, same weight, more sensitive, and looks much better. I have the Red Cedar on my musky rod that is over sized diameter and length on a 7' St. Croix blank. Great for throwing those big plugs all day.

As for a reel, I have a 6600 series Ambassador and like it. Yes there are better reels out there, but it was priced right. I fish a "left hand" bait caster, but am right handed. This way I can cast and reel without switching hands on the rod. Something to think about...
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    still lookin around.....the ambassader C3 looks real tempting...... with an eagle gt
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

As for a reel, I have a 6600 series Ambassador and like it. Yes there are better reels out there, but it was priced right. I fish a "left hand" bait caster, but am right handed. This way I can cast and reel without switching hands on the rod. Something to think about...

I learned this technique when i couldn't cast with my right arm cause i screwed my elbow all up. Casting one spring with my left hand, I switched everything over the the left side, except my baitcasters cause I was still in HS and didn't have the money for a decent lefty. Still haven't bought a lefty caster even though I still reel with my left hand on all spinning reels.

dabowman
    I bought a pinnacle reel at wally world a month or so ago because I was low on cash and need something for a rod I got at Christmas. To my suprise, the reel is fantastic. Its a little different getting used to with the braking system it has, but its a smooth reel for the price.

http://silstar.com/guide/breels_extant.html
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTW, i bought the reel for 49.99 at wally world.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    shoff quote:dabowman
    I bought a pinnacle reel at wally world a month or so ago because I was low on cash and need something for a rod I got at Christmas. To my suprise, the reel is fantastic. Its a little different getting used to with the braking system it has, but its a smooth reel for the price.

...I been trying to tell people...for the money, they are amazing. Shoff, it's what 3 BB?...and really smooth right? Now just imagine that reel with 6-8..or more BB's...and the price for those, aren't bad either. Been telling ya'll, and I am the world's worst at staying with a name brand, IF it's good.

My first Pinnacle [still runs perfect BTW] was BECAUSE I needed a reel quick, cause my funky 3100c(?) Amassaduer went down...and I was out of town fishing...have liked them ever since. The mods that have
    6+ BB's are OUTSTANDING...and usually $60-80 bucks...tried telling ya'll...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif