In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Too many weeds in pond...

EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Got to fish the small pond behind my new apartment last night. The owner said bass and bluegill. I saw bluegill but no bass. The pond was covered in little bugs and the gills were sucking them down like candy.
Now, the weeds were crazy. Underwater and about 4 feet out from the bank just thick. My shallow baits would get tangles quick, and forget a spinner. I've never casted that much without a bass hit. Guess I gotta go topwater or just try some bobbers and worms.
Big bullfrogs everywhere.

Comments

• Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a weedless frog just at sun down would be good. Drag it slowly with short stops through those weeds.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    or a fluke without any weight. Or a jitterbug.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Toss a Johnsons weedless silver minnow in them weeds, and drag those bass out of there.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Big bullfrogs everywhere and you haven't been froggin yet? What are you waitin for[:D].
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ....Endlss, Two Words....Scum frog and TOPWATER...[;)]

...means when I go and take the trolling motor...I'm going to have to PUSH the boat with a paddle a LONG ways before I can clear the hydrilla and start the trolling motor...getting too old for that sheet...[:D]

...THE HYDRILLA (TOPWATER VINE WEED) was BAD,BAD at the ranch lake...in a week and a half, went from maybe a few patches no more than 4-5 ft out from the bank....to 30-40' out form ALL the bank...worst Ive ever seen it! And ealier than I have ever seen it too...???

... Scum frog, and "walking" a lizard across the top...cause I was not in one of the boats. ..of course casting onto the hydrilla, and slowy dropping the lizard off the edge of the drill into a "hole" stirred them up., a few, great tactic though. Lost a BUNCH on the scum frog....when they came up to hit the frog, they got 5lbs of drilla in their mouths along with the frog....does not make for good hook set...[^]

....DAMN, HARD FOR me TO ONLY SAY two WORDS...[:0][:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buzz bait!!!!
    Had a good sized pond here in Elizabeth City behind a condo complex we lived at when we were building our house. Same issues with weeds, so I kept it busy with a texas-rigged lizard or worm, and just tore it up with a white buzz-bait. Mine seemed to like the smaller size lures. Ain't nothin as fun to hear as that plip-plip-plip-plip....SPLOOSH!! When one hits on topwater!
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    I have not had much luck with the weed free hooks. Probable just not using the right.