In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

starting to feel put out

snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
they say a boat is just a hole in the water you throw money in and I am starting to belive them
bought boat
then bought replacement motor 75 hp (big cash)
then rewired non functional lights,horn,and bulge pump
power pack on motor packed it in ,pay to have it repaired
pay for parts to repair seat ripped off of deck while paddleing back to shore with no motor
bought and installed new trolling motor
third day fishing with boat bulge pump quit
replaced suncracked seats

OK rant over
guess we will just have to try again tomorrow
hope for more than just 4 little sand bass and a carp tomorrow

Comments

• snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry forgot to say the boat is a 19ft cajun bass boat
    with two livewells
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    stop your scaring me [:D][:D][:D]
    the guy i baught my boat from had the power pack replaced and a tune up last year everything started and ran fine I am having to rewire the lights on it and replacing the switchs but i got all that yesterday for about 15.00 other then that everything else seems to be fine now just let me find some wood to tap on [:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    you must have found wire cheap.
    I spent more than that on just wire.
    trolling moter plug cost 20.00 all by itself
    but things worked great today
    was just a little windy
    and the fish wern't biteing as well as I like
    bulge pump worked like a champ and the seats were comfortable
    will try to post pics later
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...dang, hate to hear that snarl, hope it gets better for you. I never had one single problem with the 2 (3?) bass boats I had...just cheapy shop maintanance once year.
    I always changed the plugs each spring, and used silver streak oil in the gas...and greased the lower unit...probably way to often...[:D]

I had a friend that has a 17' Triton. steering cable broke...you DON'T want to buy one of those damn things...$200 bucks for a 3/8 or 1/2" braided, plasic coated cable, in the box!...and almost that much to install. So...we decided to install it...not too hard at all. Next time we took his boat to the lake...when you turned right...it went left....when you turned left...it went right...[:D]

....talking about going against all your instincts! ...man, it was hard to drive! Short trip [:D] We had it reversed...and had to change it...it was really weird...[8D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

I had a friend that has a 17' Triton. steering cable broke...you DON'T want to buy one of those damn things...$200 bucks for a 3/8 or 1/2" braided, plasic coated cable, in the box!...and almost that much to install. So...we decided to install it...not too hard at all. Next time we took his boat to the lake...when you turned right...it went left....when you turned left...it went right...[:D]

....talking about going against all your instincts! ...man, it was hard to drive! Short trip [:D] We had it reversed...and had to change it...it was really weird...[8D]

ani-texas-flag.gif

that is priceless[:D]
    when you installed the cable did he not check for function?[:I]
    or did he just not recognize what was happining.

as for the rant it was just one of thoese days
    I only paid $200 for the boat, motor(nonfuncional)and trailer
    and have spent for parts only untill the powerpack
    but I have it now just about the way I want it and about $2000 in the boat
    one like it runs just about $2500 for one needing repair to $4000 in good shape in this area so I am ahead of the curve right now.
    the only thing left to repair is the carpet which has some thin spots and some wear
    then will be like new
    fix stuff and use it then fix more and use it thats my motto
    but the wife want to sell it and use that money to buy a bass buggy or something like it
    edited November -1
    LT quote:when you installed the cable did he not check for function?
    or did he just not recognize what was happining.

...both...[:D]...you see, I helped him[B)]...that was his mistake.
    I can take an old beat up gun stock, and make it look new, do all kinds of "crafty" and handy things...just not too shiney with mechanical things...cept some gun repairs...me and internal combustion engines DON'T get along at all [:D]I hate 'em.

Hell, let me count the times Ive parked my truck,and it was running great, went out the next morning...and it had set overnight and BROKE by itsself, hate 'em.[:D]

...Oh yeah, the reversed steering cable thing...on the open water for the short time we were out (very short) not too bad...but it would have won Americas Funniest Videos while we were trying to drive it back up on the trailer!...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    Too bad no one there with camera
    I whould have love to see that film[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by snarlgard
    you must have found wire cheap.
    I spent more than that on just wire.

yep we have the wire at work so it did not cost anything for enough to rewire it.
    the trolliing motor plug was fine as was the wire.
    I had to replace the wire to the lights and two switches.
  • EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aluminum electric reservoir boat... man best friend..
    Still takes a lil' money too.
    eb413bb3.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Endlss
    Aluminum electric reservoir boat... man best friend..
    Still takes a lil' money too.
    eb413bb3.jpg

Nice endless [:D][:D][:D][:D] even comes with helpers lol
    edited November -1
    endlss, you keep saying "electric" boat...as in an electric motor, not gas?...as in both pics, can't really tell anything about the motor. Whatcha mean by electric? If it is elecvtric...sure looks big, and Ive never heard of one...so you have "splaining: to do...details on "electric" please sir...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    endlss, you keep saying "electric" boat...as in an electric motor, not gas?...as in both pics, can't really tell anything about the motor. Whatcha mean by electric? If it is elecvtric...sure looks big, and Ive never heard of one...so you have "splaining: to do...details on "electric" please sir...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif

I think that is the seat not the motor in the back of the boat
    edited November -1
    LT yep, now that I look close, looks like a seat. Know what he means By "electric"? Trolling motor only motor? I use a big Minn Kota on the jon boat and that old v bottom up at the ranch, no gas motor...no need on 30 acres of water! Trolling motor will get me around great for best part of two long days of fishing (have not fished that much since last year!)then I just throw on the charger and the old marine batt is ready to go again....[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey snarl boats can be a lot like women....... can cost you a lot of money for 5 minutes fun. [;)]
  • KroozerKroozer Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing worse than pumping money into a boat, is to have that boat become a white elephant. I figured it out once. If you don't use your boat at least twice a month year round, sell it. Even at $50. - $70. dollars a day rental, you will come out ahead over all the added fees, payments, registration, maintenance,and such. I realize haveing a boat is a hobby for some. I don't mean to alienate anybody. I know first hand how easy it is to fall into the Boat Trap. . . even to the point of having your family go wanting on other needed stuff.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kroozer
    The only thing worse than pumping money into a boat, is to have that boat become a white elephant. I figured it out once. If you don't use your boat at least twice a month year round, sell it. Even at $50. - $70. dollars a day rental, you will come out ahead over all the added fees, payments, registration, maintenance,and such. I realize haveing a boat is a hobby for some. I don't mean to alienate anybody. I know first hand how easy it is to fall into the Boat Trap. . . even to the point of having your family go wanting on other needed stuff.

My wife loves to fish so we use the boat on a regular basis
    as I said on a former post I got this one dirt cheap and have been paying to fix it up
    At the present time I have less in this boat than I would have payed to get one of compairable value here.
    I also have the peace of mind to know that the boat is the way I want it and now in good shape.

SO LET THE FISHING BEGIN[:D]
    edited November -1
    well here are some pics that show the boat
    and some sand bass caught today
    eec67b37.jpg
    eec67f99.jpg
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    you caught BAIT [:D]
    put them back and let them grow up
    edited November -1
    Lt those sandies sure are fun aren't they? ...filetted ain't bad neither.

Used to watch the gulls hitting the water, and if the bass were slow...go to the gulls for the sandies. They were slamming bait fish the sandies had on the run...almost always find sandies by watching the birds...nice catch...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    calm water
    we could see the shad popping
    fishing in two feet of water on the edge of a weed bank
    but boy it sure was fun
    wife just love the way they run
    that was the happeiest I have seen her in the last 5 fishing trips
    she said she was catching not fishing
    she caught 11 in about 20 min.
    she loves to fish
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Did the same with my boat. 15 1/2' Bass Tracker. The man had left it out so long that I took the floor out of it with no tools. That was 3 year ago and I'm still adding "Little Touches" to it. Just a ordered electric anchor for the back. It has 2 fish finders, front electric anchor, aerated live well and tape player. Re-did the trailer last year. It is fun for me to tinker with it. Like I told a buddy the other day on the lake, the only difference in my boat and that guy with the new ranger is 40 mph and monthly payments.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Did the same with my boat. 15 1/2' Bass Tracker. The man had left it out so long that I took the floor out of it with no tools. That was 3 year ago and I'm still adding "Little Touches" to it. Just a ordered electric anchor for the back. It has 2 fish finders, front electric anchor, aerated live well and tape player. Re-did the trailer last year. It is fun for me to tinker with it. Like I told a buddy the other day on the lake, the only difference in my boat and that guy with the new ranger is 40 mph and monthly payments.

I hear you about the boat payments
    I am thinking about putting a air pump in for the livewells
    and I am starting to need new carpeting but that can wait for a little while