In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BTW... anyone smoke catfish?

kindofsuddenkindofsudden Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I love smoked salmon and I have heard of smoking trout, but those kind of fish are hard to come by in Indiana. Anyone ever smoke catfish? If so, include a recipe please.

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Cat fish are a excellent fish to smoke.
    I just submerge them in the fridge in a salt and brown sugar brine 24 hours, or longer depending on the size, after they have been gutted of course.
    I leave the heads, and hide on and toss them in the smoker for the duration, depending on the size and amount of fish.
    You can vary the amount of salt and brown sugar to suit your taster, and also the amount of smoking time. I leave 6, 18 inchers in the smoker for about 8 hours, but that will vary depending on the smoker.
    I also do Sunfish, white, and yellow perch, and Walleyes the same way. I did a carp just once, and never plan on doing that again [xx(]
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I've never smoked catfish, but have smoked trout. I use a rub that is very good one white meat fish, don't like it so much on salmon, but it would be a great place to start for catfish. I'll find the recipe and post. I haven't made a new batch of rub in over a year so I might have to dig a little, but I'm running low so this is good timing.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tried it once- - -didn't like it- - -not really worth the trouble!

they make the papers soggy & they are hard to keep lit
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...once,...couldn't keep it lit...[:0]

...yes, they are fine, matter of fact most fish smoked are really good. Apple, is a good light wood for fish...I like pecan, hickory, mesquite too...Hickory may be my favorite smoking wood...I said "may".
    If it's smoked, I like it...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite smoking wood for fish is cherry. Works very well with salmon or trout.

One trick I have fond is to let the fish sit in the fridge for 2 ours out of the brine before you put it on the smoker. It gives the meat a chance to set up and is much more firm.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Fish smoke cherry wood?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey elkoholic, I am interested in your recipe. I have been up to my knees in catfish lately, so I can spare a couple to try in the smoker as an experiment.

Sounds like apple is the way to go, although I have a bag of mesquite chunks in my garage....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey mrbruce, why do you leave the heads and hides on? Does the skin come off easy after you smoke the fish?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...I am not Mr. B, (PRETTIER[:D])

...but, if your going to smoke fish, the head and skin helps it all stay together, and less chance of it drying out.

A mild wood, alder, cherry, and apple are most excellent on fish.
    I love hickory...but use apple and the above mentioned as well.
    Since I can go out and cut mesquite, it's cheap...and I love it, but, be careful...it burns kinda hot, watch your temp...

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...EASY smoker Recipe.
    I use sea, or Kosher salt period, THERE is a difference...between that Mortons "table" salt...sea/Kosher...only way to go.
    Fresh cracked white(for looks) or black pepper.
    TOUCH of garlic powder..or LITTLE garlic oil.
    A little of the Lime or Fruit and lime salt you find in
    beer, convienance stores on the counter.
    Beer
    Real butter

Lighten up on salt if you use the Lime salt
    Lemmon Pepper is good/but watch the pepper, if used.
    Take the fish, rub the inside GOOD w/butter and sprinkle on some of all of the above. RUB the outside w/butter.
    Set on steamer pan in smoker, or make a foil pan..DON'T wrap or cover...easy...smoking times vary with the temps you have, and the amount of fish and type/size of smoker...SO WATCH IT CLOSE!
    Too long, and it will be mush, not flaky...[;)]

...Oh the beer, ICE COLD, and have a few while prepping, or while the fish are smoking...[:D]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good recipe. With the skin and heads on, how will I tell it is done?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...I'd keep the temp LOW around 165...no more than 180.
    Real important to keep smoke temp within a few degrees af your target temp...thru out the smoking cycle.
    Same with, briskit, ribs, pork raost, heah buddy MEAT![:p]

Fish should smoke fairly quickly, for me they do...if your doing like a "curing" smoking...that sounds kind of like what mrbruce is doing...THAT, could take awhile, as his does.
    At temps I stated, maybe after an hour...I would check and see if the meat is flaky(spck)...NO MORE THAN an hr. Matter of fact, after 45min. I would check 'em...then about every 15 min. NO MORE.
    As I said, too long, and fish gets mushy, you want it flaky.

Hope this helps...hell, ck as often as you are comfortable with...they don't take all that long at about 175...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    kindofsudden- Here is my favorite smoke rub, works great on beef, chicken, and white fish. I'd try to fellet the cat fish with skin on make sure its dry, apply rub. Put in smoker rack skin down. 165 deg f and it won't take long. For low temp smoking (80 F) stick with the brines. Let me know how it goes.

1 lb 10oz table salt
    1 tbs onion salt
    2 tbs cellery salt
    1 tbs garlic salt
    2 tbs paprika
    4 tbs black pepper
    4 tbs white pepper
    2 tbs dill salt
    3 tbs monosodium glutamate
    4 tbs white sugar
    1 tbs mace *
    1 tbs curry powder *
    1 tbs dry mustard *

* omit these for less spicy (I don't think the full recipe is very spicy, the salt will get to ya before the heat.)

Mix and seal in a jar. Let stand for several days before use. Trust me tastes better than it smells.[:D]
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kindofsudden
    Hey mrbruce, why do you leave the heads and hides on? Does the skin come off easy after you smoke the fish?

I leave the heads on because it freaks out the little girl across the road, (she's the one that always asks me how come I don't get my meat at the store like they do)
    The skin on a catfish has enough fat in it that it helps the smokin process, and peels right off real easy when it's done smokin.
    I have always brined my fish, and smoked then at about 90 degrees for the duration but you can bet I'll try elkoholics recipe out because I could get to eatin quicker that way [:D]
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have smoked almost all kinds of fish the more fat in the fish the better.I use pickling salt as table salt has iodine in it i use 5 lbs salt 1 lb brown sugar and 5 gal pail of water soak over night. smoke time depends on size and amount of fish. lake trout,whitefish,crappie if over a lb.,bullhead-catfish,also carp in that order are my favorites.tks hedge[:D]