In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Deep-Cycle Battery Question

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
edited June 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I have a Bass Hunter boat that is powered by a small Minn-Kota electric motor. I haven't used it in a long time, but I was thinking of taking it out and going for some bass.

It needs a battery. Not a big problem, but I don't know as much as I should about deep-cycle batteries.

I had a deep-cycle battery, and it didn't last long. I thought, and still do think, that the battery charger killed it. I have only an automotive-type charger, and it is "automatic," in that it puts into the battery what the battery needs and then stops. It does not trickle charge.

Somewhere I got the notion, that because a deep cycle battery is made to produce lower amperage over a longer period of time than a cranking battery, that it should be recharged slowly.

Am I right or full of it? When I go get a deep-cycle marine battery, should I also spring for a matching charger?

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...David, I always have just used a batt charger that has a setting for Marine(deep cycle) Batts...deep cycle.
    Always worked for me on Marine Batts.

I always charge my Marine Batt, thru the winter, even though it is used very little, if at all; and always on a "slow" charge (deep cycle setting), and has an auto shut off too.

I think last year, at Sears, I paid like $85 for a charger that will start a dead batt, deep cycle charge, and regular charge.
    For a quck boost if when out fishing, a quick charge on any charger, never hurt any of my batts...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    My Grandfather has used a regular charger on his for years and years and his batteries seem to last. However, I used to help service golf carts, and they had six large deep cycle batteries in each one. The chargers were for deep cycle batteries and we very seldom had to change one out, make sure you check your water level occasionally and use distilled water if the levels are low.

Also, the warrenty's on them are pretty good, if it doesn't last take it back and get a new one.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The chargers for a deep cycle battery are different, or are combined together and are able to be switched to one or the other.
    A plain jane charger wont do a marine battery justice.
    If your looking for a new battery check out the Optima, a little pricy but well worth the extra cost
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI
    I use a motorcycle charger which is only .5 amps on slow charge.
    NUNN i have a older 35 minn koda and prop is bad new prop wont fit do you have a site to buy parts for minn koda tks.hedge
  • Options
    edited November -1
    www.johnsonoutdoors.com, Cabela's, and others sell the props. Do a search for Minn Kota and you will find a bunch of sales sites. I even saw some props at Wal*Mart the other day. The new weedless props won't fit the old motors, though. I bought a new motor to get more weedless capability.

I order from Jerry's, but I don't know if you can, since it's a wholesale outfit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    PS: I found a charger which will charge slowly at 2 amps. The instructions with it said to use 6 amps on marine batteries, but I ain't buying that on a deep-cycle. It takes nearly all night to charge it up after a few hours of fishing.
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well my charger that i have had for years is not doing the job on my new deep cycle battery. Maybe on the fritz because its old. Was talking to a battery man and he advised to use a minimum of 10amp on deep cycle. I am going to get a 10 amp.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Optimas rock. I have a 6v one for my 356.

Oh, and I just heard from a distributer that Optima is about to raise their prices across the board by $20 wholesale per battery - get one now if you want it.