In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

casting a baitcaster...SOS...

DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
edited June 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
how do i do it. i tryed earlier, but couldnt get it. kept getting the line all tangled up[:I][:o)]i need help!!

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to start

put a really heavy weight on, 1/2 oz or bigger. Set the settings to make the spool not very free. There can be two ways of doing this. The thumb screw cap by the handle or the left side with either the magnets or centrifical (sp) brake. You will want to use a mix of both the right thumb screw cap and the brake to begin with.

Use your thumb lightly on the spool, you can control the spool with your thumb. Smoothly cast and use your thumb to stop the spool. If you cast to hard you will tangle the reel up. If you don't stop the spool at impact, you will tangle the reel up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    to start

put a really heavy weight on, 1/2 oz or bigger. Set the settings to make the spool not very free. There can be two ways of doing this. The thumb screw cap by the handle or the left side with either the magnets or centrifical (sp) brake. You will want to use a mix of both the right thumb screw cap and the brake to begin with.

Use your thumb lightly on the spool, you can control the spool with your thumb. Smoothly cast and use your thumb to stop the spool. If you cast to hard you will tangle the real up. If you don't stop the spool at impact, you will tangle the reel up.
    thanks.......ill try it[:D]
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as shoff posted... tighten your brake on the left side all the way.... adjust the the brake on the right hand side tight enough to allow your sinker or whatever you have tied on to practice with to slowly fall... and i mean slowly... practice with that... and loosen the left side brake a click or two and practice with that... the more practice you get the better you will get as with anything... alternate loosening the left and right brakes and most importantly practice controlling the spool with your thumb... that's the most important part of baitcasters.... if you ever get your lure hung in a tree or over cast to the bank or into a brush pile you want to be able to stop the line from going out anymore and into trouble....
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    What they said, and a little practice, nothing to it. Good luck with it and let us know how you progress.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another thing that helps is to have VERY heavy line on your reel. This does not help much with the casting, but picking out the backlash gets easier with the heavy line. Maybe I shouldnt admit it, but I have 80lb Power Pro on mine.
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain. I ran out to cast a few times right as the sun set last Friday. Two casts and I had such a rats nest I was done for the evening.[V] I just switched from a stiff 6' rod to a med action 7'6" (needed more casting distance) and its taking longer to adjust that I thought.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    another thing that helps is to have VERY heavy line on your reel. This does not help much with the casting, but picking out the backlash gets easier with the heavy line. Maybe I shouldnt admit it, but I have 80lb Power Pro on mine.

you fishing off the coast in Indiana?
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    DaBow find the line you are going to USE! as I have said many times, for me,...I do SpiderWire 30#. DON'T LEARN w/a line you are NOT going to use, get familiar w/YOUR equipement.

Depending on your rod, HVY, MDHVY, LGHT choose your weight...don't use a weight heavier than what your rod is made for. EX: If your rod handles 1/8-5/8 baits, try a 5/8 oz. sinker...got it?
    If your rod is made to perform GREAT up to 5/8-3/4oz baits...don't use a weight OVER what your rod is made for.

Then as others have said, tighten the line tension knob, then holding your rod tip up, hit your thumbar(button)loosen the tension knob till the weight falls SLOWLY...now that is set for the right weight.

Then, take and tighten your mag brake up to where you can SIDEARM
    cast the weight maybe 10-15 ft...thats all you need for now.
    PRACTICE. DON'T worry about accuracy, don't matter about where it goes, your working on NOT getting a "pro-lash"...[:D]

When you have that down...start to loosen your mag brake a LITTLE, and PRACTICE SIDEARM casting the SAME 10-15 ft.

When you have PRACTICED ([:D]) and have THAT down...loosen the mag brake a little more..and work on the SAME diatance.
    Now, PRACTICE your regular vertical casting AT 10-15 ft.

Now, once you are comfortable w/sidearm, AND vertical casts at 10-15 ft...your ready to loosen a little more on the brake, and start to increase your distance and a LITTLE accuracy; your accuracy WILL improve ONLY if you can cast with some distance WITHOUT a backlash.
    Congrats, and don't get upset, hell, I still get a backlash, as EVERYBODY does...now and then.

PRACTICE...PRACTICE!...THEN PRACTICE SOME MORE...[;)]
    Any questions, ask,ok?...we ALL had to go thru this crap at
    one time, no biggie.

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

Congrats, and don't get upset, hell, I still get a backlash, as EVERYBODY does...now and then.

Yep, its always those times were I try to cast to far or I am in a hurry and have an inacruate cast and the bait its the water before its supposed to. [:D] I became a pro at backlash removal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shoff
    Nope. Fishing here in Minnesota. Got that stuff on my Musky rod.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    shoff
    Nope. Fishing here in Minnesota. Got that stuff on my Musky rod.

well maybe you will catch an 80 + pound musky. ;) At least you said on a musky pole rather then your bluegill pole [:D].

What type of line weight does it take to troll for muskies if you have to get deep?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The size is more for the hook set protection from teeth and line diameter for backlash, than fishing depth depth or breaking strength. Just like the target shooters in archery shoot large diameter arrows to cut the lines on less than perfect shots. It's a convienence thing.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know about Mn. but in wisconsin where i fish most areas you are not allowed to troll.tks hedge
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    hows the casting coming along?

Taz
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer
    hows the casting coming along?

Taz
    gettin better little by little. havn't had much spare time latly[:o)][:I]
  • Options
    beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One point that may help you is to try to cast like your shaking hands, with the reel handle pointed up. Most people try to cast a baitcaster too hard. Hold the rod and reel in front of you, use the rod to make the cast. In other words, reach back with the rod only and cast with your wrist and let the reel handle point up. Use you casting hand thumb to feather the spool to a smooth stop. Watch Bill Dance or Jimmy Houston on a fishing show. These guys have made countless cast and make almost an efortless cast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    beagle quote:These guys have made countless cast and make almost an efortless cast.

I am offended beagle,[:(]you left ME out, who the hell do you think TAUGHT these guys how to get that very intricate, perfect,%*#$@!, "gotta cut the whole spool of line off",...proffessional backlash????...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DaBow, Get a spool of SpiderWire, try the newer Teflon coated too. Siperwire, if backlashed...comes untangled easier than any line I ever used...if you end up with a "prolash"...it just does not tangle up tight...I promise...[;)]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    b"gotta cut the whole spool of line off",.

img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/jalepenoman/ani-texas-flag.gif[/img]

hmmmmmmmmm Iv done that a few times [:(!][:(!][:D][:D]
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most (if not all) backlashes happen as the bait starts slowing down on the last half of the cast. Watch your bait as you throw it, and as it reaches the peak of the arc, then start a gentle "braking" of the spool with your thumb, stopping it right when it hits the water. At that mid-point, gravity takes over the forward momentum and starts pulling down. From that point on, you don't need as much line spooling off your reel.
    We surf-cast a lot here on the Outer Banks of NC, and I can literally throw a 6 oz rig 160-175 yards with a garcia 6000 reel and 13' "heaver" pole w/20# line. It's a hoot to get it out that far from the shore!
    Practice!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hissinggoose
    It's a hoot to get it out that far from the shore!
    Practice!!

I see alot of casting contest with the loser having to pick a nest out of the reel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Hissingoose" whats a "heaver" rod? I cast for distance and am interested in what type and brand of rod you use. Baitcaster or spinning rod? I think this would be an interesting topic. Not everyone fishes from a boat. I am still in search for the perfect casting rod. Lets see, around 11', soft tip with a lot of back bone.
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beagle...
    A "heaver" is just colloquialism for a big long pole.[:D] I use a custom made 13' graphite/fiberglass one-piece baitcasting rod I bought at Red Drum Tackle (check out the website) on Hatteras Island a few years ago. Those guys down there are surfcasting PROs! Light weight,plenty of backbone, with just enough "whip" to chuck out a #4-#10 oz sinker. I get the best pure distance with a #6 oz weight. I think I paid @ $250-275 for the rod, and use a garcia 6000 reel with the level-wind removed. 13 feet is as much rod as I can swing, but there are some guys down there that use a 15 footer and outshoot me by 30-50 yards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cool, I catfish and cast for distance. I use a 12' rod, an old Olympic Amazon I have had for twenty years. I recently bought a 15' rod. I mainly use spinning rods for distance, but have been experimenting with baitcasters. I have never seen a baitcaster with the level wind removed, but have seen the older trolling reels made this way. About 110 to 120 yards is about as far as I have cast.